BeatStreet

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I swore I read an article somewhere saying that they were cutting the prices on Core 2 Duo 6600 somewhere and even gave a date of January. Now I can't find it anymore and all I see is prediction that it'll happen in Q'2. Does anyone have the definite heads up on this one? Thanks.

:p

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
JumpingJack said:

I find the use of this word (in any context) extremely offensive, please edit it out of your post. This comes up there, but not exceeding, Baron's accusation toward Turpit some long while ago.[/quote]

Did I miss one? Or were you refering to his little backwords message? I forget what it was.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
JumpingJack said:

I find the use of this word (in any context) extremely offensive, please edit it out of your post. This comes up there, but not exceeding, Baron's accusation toward Turpit some long while ago.[/quote]

Did I miss one? Or were you refering to his little backwords message? I forget what it was.

I cannot remember if it was you, or who it was --- but it had people registering just to call him a sicko. It was vile and I will not repeat it....

I do recall the backward little messages though, the mods actually went through and hand/edit/deleted those from the original to the quoted replies.

That was when I really understood the color of his character.

I see what you did there, ;)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
JumpingJack said:

I cannot remember if it was you, or who it was --- but it had people registering just to call him a sicko. It was vile and I will not repeat it....

I do recall the backward little messages though, the mods actually went through and hand/edit/deleted those from the original to the quoted replies.

That was when I really understood the color of his character.

OHHH Yeah. I remember THAT one. Wasnt me. Dont remember who it was, but the comment was "pedophile"

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
This one actually pales in comparison to the time when Topota_madre (I think that was his name) changed his avatar to a closeup of a drinking glass shoved up a mans butt.

It was very disturbing to say the least.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I’ve never been ashamed to use the word stupid, nor do view it as derogatory. Ive never felt anyone should be ashamed of it. I see it merely as descriptive. Any derogatory implications that word holds seem to be the result of (and I do use this in a very derogatory manor) excessive Political Correctness.

Stupid is part of a set of 3. I’ve used these before,

Dumb: To lack intellectual capacity to successfully understand or use information/solve problems
Ignorant: To lack information, regardless of intellectual capacity
Stupid: To possess the intellectual capacity and the required information to successfully choose a correct course of action, but to choose the wrong course of action

Idiot and moron, well, those can be employed either descriptively or derogatorily

Just my opinion

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I’ve never been ashamed to use the word stupid, nor do view it as derogatory. Ive never felt anyone should be ashamed of it. I see it merely as descriptive. Any derogatory implications that word holds seem to be the result of (and I do use this in a very derogatory manor) excessive Political Correctness.

Dumb: To lack intellectual capacity to successfully understand or use information/solve problems
Stupid: To possess the intellectual capacity and the required information to successfully choose a correct course of action, but to choose the wrong course of action

Idiot and moron, well, those can be employed either descriptively or derogatorily

Just my opinion

I dig it. I hate when people use "ignorant" as an insult when they mean "racist," "bigot," "stupid," etc.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

Just my opinion

I started teaching when I was a Junior in college (simply freshman chem labs). What pleasurable work. Anyway, to keep the student base from being 'emabarrassed' or 'intimidated' I ways started my introduction lectures as 'Aside from 'Are the green men on Mars', there is no such thing as a stupid question, it is only stupid not to ask otherwise how will you ever know .... it was important to me to ensure they understood that not knowing something did not lesson or degrade my opinion of them, nor did I think they were 'stupid' ---- sorta developed into a personal philosophy --- don't consider anyone stupid until they give you reason to declare them stupid. :) Well, I have been given reason :)

On a side note, ingorant is not one I feel I should withhold. Simply means, as you said, one does not know or lacks knowledge.
That's funny, my old geography teacher called people retarded once. She even used the word that got poor Mr. Wolfson banned, along with another epithet that's illegal in my country.

...she got fired for calling the principal a f*cking @sshole.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Just my opinion

I started teaching when I was a Junior in college (simply freshman chem labs). What pleasurable work. Anyway, to keep the student base from being 'emabarrassed' or 'intimidated' I ways started my introduction lectures as 'Aside from 'Are the green men on Mars', there is no such thing as a stupid question, it is only stupid not to ask otherwise how will you ever know .... it was important to me to ensure they understood that not knowing something did not lesson or degrade my opinion of them, nor did I think they were 'stupid' ---- sorta developed into a personal philosophy --- don't consider anyone stupid until they give you reason to declare them stupid. :) Well, I have been given reason :)

On a side note, ingorant is not one I feel I should withhold. Simply means, as you said, one does not know or lacks knowledge.

Ah. Ive always tended towards the tactic of humanizing, or lowering myself to my charges level..explaining to them that it was OK and perfectly normal to make mistakes with a few critical exceptions. That every member of the cadre made mistakes every single day regardless of their level of experiance. The important thing was not how many mistakes they made, but how they handled the mistakes. And how they used opportunities to gain experiance in recognizing and avoiding mistakes before they happend or correcting them if they had already occured. For humours sake I'll throw in " or at least learn how to hide your mistakes". It always been helpful to point out my mistakes as I made them, to help relax individuals. But when it comes time to document progress (or lack of) Ive always been brutal, including the use of the word 'stupid'. Dumb has never come up, and we dont permit ignorant. If an individual shows up for an event without the prerequisite level of knowlege, (ignorance) the event does not proceed. My critiques have been fairly consistant... "hes strict but fair", with the rare (to quote Bruce Camplbell) "Whiner Baby" saying "Hes too strict". At least consistant enough that no one has felt the need chastize me or advise me to alter my methods.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
This is going to be another one of those 8 page topics about nothing isnt it? Count me in!

:lol: :lol:

Im sorry, but you will need a secret decoder ring to enter into the directionless 8 page thread. I believe Clue69less has a supply of them in his secret lab. You can apply to him for access. :wink:

JK How was that? Nothing-ish enough for ya? :lol: