Missing Systray Icons

Problem:

1) User Logs into Windows 2000 Machine --> and the System Tray Icons are
missing, such as Anti-Virus, and Windows Firewall Client.

2) Same User logs into a Windows XP Machine --> the System Tray Icons are
present.

3) Different User in the same network Group, logs into any of the Windows
200 Machines, including the one that the first user does not work on, and
they receive all of their icons.

One thing I have made a note of, is that this user who does not work also
logs into a Windows NT machine, and receives an NTConfig.pol then a
NTConfig.pol.tmp, .tmp.tmp, etc etc. Tied one KB suggestion a long time ago,
but it didn't work.

I know the user is taking a policy, since all other restictions are in
place, the first user and the second user both have the same policy with one
exception. User 1, has a custom desktop, with picture and junk like
that...since we lock the desktops down to control what users can do, we allow
a custom desktop, by contolling what is placed on it.

So getting back to the NT thing, could the problem of missing Icons, be
related to the user profile logging into NT and W2K? But what would cause
this user to work just fine when logging into an XP machine, and yet not 2K?

I am at a loss...

Thanks
More about missing systray icons

    Hello,

    Thank you for using newsgroup!

    From your post, could you help me confirm the information first?
    1. Do you use roaming profile in the domain network environment?
    2. What is the exact OS of DC and the problematic PC?
    3. What about the desktop icons?

    Some suggestions for troubleshoot:

    Suggestion1:
    -----------------------
    Please copy System Configuration Utility (Msconfig.exe) from a Windows XP
    system to the problematic Windows 2000 system to troubleshoot. We can use
    Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference here. To isolate the
    influence of additional applications, please boot the system into a Clean
    Boot environment to see whether this problem continues:

    1. Unplug all the unnecessary devices, with only the keyboard, the mouse
    left.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
    the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
    4. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button.
    5. Click OK and restart your computer.

    If your issue is resolved at this point, repeat the process, but add one
    check back each time to the list of files listed under the "Startup" and
    "Services" menus until the issue reappears again, when this happens follow
    these steps:

    1. Select the tab for the last file you enabled and remove the checks from
    each line in that file.
    2. Click the Apply button
    3. Reboot your computer and verify the issue has not reappeared.
    4. Replace each check mark one line at a time.
    5. Click the Apply button.
    6. Reboot your computer.

    When the issue reappears you will then know which line or command is
    causing the issue.

    Suggestion2:
    -----------------------
    I suggest we restart the computer in Safe Mode to see if the problem also
    occurs in this mode. Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode
    configuration, disabling Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA
    display adapter.

    1. Restart the computer.
    2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
    3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.

    Note: Some third party applications and some hardware device cannot be used
    during Safe Mode. You will temporarily be unable to connect to the Internet
    temporarily while in Safe Mode.

    202485: Description of Safe Boot Mode in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;202485

    Suggestion3:
    -----------------------
    For your issue, I think it may be caused by corrupt user profile.
    Therefore, I also suggest you reset the user profile.
    1. Backup your important data under C:\Documents and Settings\username.
    2. Delete the corrupt user profile.
    3. Logoff and logon with the user account to test the issue again.

    Hope the suggestions help!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Ken Zhao

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
    Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
    Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
    code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
    after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
    secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
    expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
    able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
    update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
    will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
    information, please go to:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
    4662

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
    | Subject: Missing Systray Icons
    | Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:19:03 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    |
    | Problem:
    |
    | 1) User Logs into Windows 2000 Machine --> and the System Tray Icons are
    | missing, such as Anti-Virus, and Windows Firewall Client.
    |
    | 2) Same User logs into a Windows XP Machine --> the System Tray Icons are
    | present.
    |
    | 3) Different User in the same network Group, logs into any of the Windows
    | 200 Machines, including the one that the first user does not work on, and
    | they receive all of their icons.
    |
    | One thing I have made a note of, is that this user who does not work also
    | logs into a Windows NT machine, and receives an NTConfig.pol then a
    | NTConfig.pol.tmp, .tmp.tmp, etc etc. Tied one KB suggestion a long time
    ago,
    | but it didn't work.
    |
    | I know the user is taking a policy, since all other restictions are in
    | place, the first user and the second user both have the same policy with
    one
    | exception. User 1, has a custom desktop, with picture and junk like
    | that...since we lock the desktops down to control what users can do, we
    allow
    | a custom desktop, by contolling what is placed on it.
    |
    | So getting back to the NT thing, could the problem of missing Icons, be
    | related to the user profile logging into NT and W2K? But what would
    cause
    | this user to work just fine when logging into an XP machine, and yet not
    2K?

    | I am at a loss...
    |
    | Thanks

    See Below
    Note on suggestion 3, I was coming to the same conclusion, since the user is
    a roaming profile, I can delete the locally cached profile, as an admin, but
    what is the best practice for deleting the user profile stored on the server,
    or can I just rename the stored profile? And then let the user have one
    rebuilt...?

    Thanks Ken

    "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Thank you for using newsgroup!
    >
    > From your post, could you help me confirm the information first?
    > 1. Do you use roaming profile in the domain network environment?

    Yes

    > 2. What is the exact OS of DC and the problematic PC?

    Windows 2000 DC, Windows 2000 Client that the systray icons do not show
    up on, Windows XP Client that the systray icons DO show up.

    > 3. What about the desktop icons?

    Desktop icons appear to be unaffected...

> [...]
    > | logs into a Windows NT machine, and receives an NTConfig.pol then a
    > | NTConfig.pol.tmp, .tmp.tmp, etc etc. Tied one KB suggestion a long time
    > ago,
    > | but it didn't work.
    > |
    > | I know the user is taking a policy, since all other restictions are in
    > | place, the first user and the second user both have the same policy with
    > one
    > | exception. User 1, has a custom desktop, with picture and junk like
    > | that...since we lock the desktops down to control what users can do, we
    > allow
    > | a custom desktop, by contolling what is placed on it.
    > |
    > | So getting back to the NT thing, could the problem of missing Icons, be
    > | related to the user profile logging into NT and W2K? But what would
    > cause
    > | this user to work just fine when logging into an XP machine, and yet not

    Hello,

    For your requirements, I suggest you refer to the following articles to
    delete the cached profiles:

    Delete cached copies of roaming profiles in the following group policy:

    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon
    <http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit
    /en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/e
    n-us/gp/15.asp>

    274152: Using Group Policy to Delete Cached Copies of Roaming Profiles
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274152

    For how to configure a user account to use a roaming user profile, please
    refer to the links:
    316353: How to configure a user account to use a roaming user profile in
    Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 Server, or Windows NT 4.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316353

    307964: How to Configure Client User Profile Information for a Roaming User
    on Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307964

    Hope that helps!

> [...]

    | > Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the
    secure
    | > code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6
    months
    | > after which you will need to update your registration by entering the
    new
    | > secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
    | > expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will
    be
    | > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
    Please
    | > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current
    link
    | > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    | > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    | > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more

    | > |
    | > | Problem:
    | > |
    | > | 1) User Logs into Windows 2000 Machine --> and the System Tray Icons
    are
    | > | missing, such as Anti-Virus, and Windows Firewall Client.
    | > |
    | > | 2) Same User logs into a Windows XP Machine --> the System Tray Icons
    are
    | > | present.
    | > |
    | > | 3) Different User in the same network Group, logs into any of the
    Windows
    | > | 200 Machines, including the one that the first user does not work on,
    and
    | > | they receive all of their icons.
    | > |
    | > | One thing I have made a note of, is that this user who does not work
    also
    | > | logs into a Windows NT machine, and receives an NTConfig.pol then a
    | > | NTConfig.pol.tmp, .tmp.tmp, etc etc. Tied one KB suggestion a long
    time
    | > ago,
    | > | but it didn't work.
    | > |
    | > | I know the user is taking a policy, since all other restictions are
    in
    | > | place, the first user and the second user both have the same policy
    with
    | > one
    | > | exception. User 1, has a custom desktop, with picture and junk like
    | > | that...since we lock the desktops down to control what users can do,
    we
    | > allow
    | > | a custom desktop, by contolling what is placed on it.
    | > |
    | > | So getting back to the NT thing, could the problem of missing Icons,
    be
    | > | related to the user profile logging into NT and W2K? But what would
    | > cause
    | > | this user to work just fine when logging into an XP machine, and yet
    not
    | > 2K?
    | > |
    | > | I am at a loss...