Does Brand Matter ?

I Right now have 1 GB of memory: 256x2 Kingston DDR 400 and 512 Kingston DDR 400. I want to go to 2 Gigs. To ensure maximum compatibility and no semi functionality, what should I go for? Is brand important in my case? If I could get a cheaper deal on a 1 Gig stick, and lets say it's G.Skill or Corsair, is it worth it?

I don't overclock at all (Just GPU).
5 answers Last reply
More about does brand matter
  1. If you use a different brand on another channel, it is okay but the memory will work at the lower speed of the 2 channels.
  2. I agree with evongugg. It shouldn't make much difference. It might help to try to get comparable speed/latency Ram but as stated above it will just drop to the lower speed of the different sticks.
  3. Be careful. Different brands of RAM can sometimes be designed for different voltages for optimal performance. It would be a waste of money/performance if your motherboard doesn't support the VDIMM of the memory you wish to buy.

And as stated before, if you use 1 cheap stick and one expensive stick they both effectively run like the cheap stick. Again, a waste of money/performance.
  4. Quote:
    I Right now have 1 GB of memory: 256x2 Kingston DDR 400 and 512 Kingston DDR 400. I want to go to 2 Gigs. To ensure maximum compatibility and no semi functionality, what should I go for? Is brand important in my case? If I could get a cheaper deal on a 1 Gig stick, and lets say it's G.Skill or Corsair, is it worth it?

I don't overclock at all (Just GPU).

I'm thinking in some similar. I have 2x 512MB Patriot CL2.0-3-2-5 and i'm thinking installing additional 2x1GB Kingston with equivalent timmings: CL2.0-3-2-6. Since Kingston uses a little higher voltage (+0.1v afaik), i guess the system will be leveled by the Kingston memory.
  5. just keep the same type/make chips on the same channel. the best way to guarantee no issues is to go with new matching sets but its also the most expensive way too
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR Kingston