Sign in with
Your question

Does Brand Matter ?

Last response: in Memory
January 4, 2007 5:49:28 PM

I Right now have 1 GB of memory: 256x2 Kingston DDR 400 and 512 Kingston DDR 400. I want to go to 2 Gigs. To ensure maximum compatibility and no semi functionality, what should I go for? Is brand important in my case? If I could get a cheaper deal on a 1 Gig stick, and lets say it's G.Skill or Corsair, is it worth it?

I don't overclock at all (Just GPU).

More about : brand matter

January 5, 2007 12:02:14 PM

If you use a different brand on another channel, it is okay but the memory will work at the lower speed of the 2 channels.
January 5, 2007 12:41:30 PM

I agree with evongugg. It shouldn't make much difference. It might help to try to get comparable speed/latency Ram but as stated above it will just drop to the lower speed of the different sticks.
Related resources
January 5, 2007 1:19:02 PM

Be careful. Different brands of RAM can sometimes be designed for different voltages for optimal performance. It would be a waste of money/performance if your motherboard doesn't support the VDIMM of the memory you wish to buy.

And as stated before, if you use 1 cheap stick and one expensive stick they both effectively run like the cheap stick. Again, a waste of money/performance.
January 5, 2007 1:22:27 PM

Quote:
I Right now have 1 GB of memory: 256x2 Kingston DDR 400 and 512 Kingston DDR 400. I want to go to 2 Gigs. To ensure maximum compatibility and no semi functionality, what should I go for? Is brand important in my case? If I could get a cheaper deal on a 1 Gig stick, and lets say it's G.Skill or Corsair, is it worth it?

I don't overclock at all (Just GPU).

I'm thinking in some similar. I have 2x 512MB Patriot CL2.0-3-2-5 and i'm thinking installing additional 2x1GB Kingston with equivalent timmings: CL2.0-3-2-6. Since Kingston uses a little higher voltage (+0.1v afaik), i guess the system will be leveled by the Kingston memory.
January 5, 2007 1:41:28 PM

just keep the same type/make chips on the same channel. the best way to guarantee no issues is to go with new matching sets but its also the most expensive way too
!