CPU Problem, im stumped...

Xpyrofuryx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Ok, so i ordered a bunch of stuff from newegg including:

AMD Opteron 175
3 RAM heatsinks
Titan Water Cooling system

So, I put in the heatsinks and replaced the CPU, and tested it and everything ran just fine. I installed the water cooler then and everything was all fine. My Opty was running at 2.2Ghz at 26C. I decided it was overclocking time after running my system for about 1 1/2 hours to check for leaks/stability. I went to my BIOS and changed the FBS from 200 to 250 and started it up. It ran fine and it hit 2.8Ghz. I ran it liek that for about 10 minutes and it was only at 32C. So I went to overclock the FBS soem more. I ran it to 300 and started it up... except... it didnt start up. I tried starting it up again, but NOTHING. So, I figured maybe this opty couldnt run at 300 FBS, So, I cleared my CMOS and then started it up.. still absolutely nothing. I took the opty out and replaced it with my old Athlon 64 4000+. It didnt run still. I took that out and go out an old 939 motherboard I had and installed a RAM stick, the 4000+ and the vid card. and powered it up. It ran just fine. So i put teh opteron in that one and it didnt run... So I am stumped... I dont knwo what to do. I am guessing it somehow shorted out the CPU and the mobo. In which case I can just replace the mobo and exchange the CPU. But, I cant exactly do that because the water cooler runs through the PCI bracket and has water in it so I cant exactly disconnect it without water spilling.

Please help me, I am stumped...

schuy1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
First, does the board give any type of BIOS beep errors, or just does not power on at all. Also have you used the same PSU on both boards you are testing? And how long did you let the CMOS clear for, sometimes it can take a while (couple minutes to completly discharge).

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
You are a complete cock!

WTF you think you are doing pushing the CPU in 500MHz increments? Are you retarded??? You can't increase overclocking steps by a factor of 500MHz at a time!!! That's the work of a fool.

No! Overclocking attempts work from base speeds towards top speed by increments of 1 or 2 FSB MHz at a time. Remember each frequency you select is multiplied by the CPU multiplier.

You deserve the dead CPU you now own: it's nothing more than an interesting paper weight, and a reminder not to be so fucking stupid in the future.