W2K detects non-existent ports and BSOD's!! How to disable..

I have disabled COM1, 2 and LPT1 in my server's BIOS, to allow enough IRQ's
to be available for two 3COM PCI internal modems in the machine. In the
BIOS this appears correctly and it reports the devices. However, when W2K
(fully patches with all SP's and hotfixes) starts it detects com1, com2 and
lpt1 anyway, and then reports that the second modem has a problem. When I
force the IRQ's, after disabling the incorrectly detected com and lpt ports,
the machine crashes with a BSOD.

I moved the modems to a totally different server (a dual 1GHz PIII server)
and the problem is exactly the same, so my suspicion that the BIOS in the
Dell PE1400 is the problem, was proven wrong. It's actually windows 2000
server that stuffs this up.

So my question is: Is it possible to tell W2K that no COM or LPT ports are
installed? (ie I don't want auto-detection). I think then I'd be able to
manually config the modems to work correctly. Of course I don't want the
modems autodetected either...

regards

Roland Giesler

Roland Giesler wrote:
> I have disabled COM1, 2 and LPT1 in my server's BIOS, to allow enough IRQ's
> to be available for two 3COM PCI internal modems in the machine. In the
> BIOS this appears correctly and it reports the devices. However, when W2K
> (fully patches with all SP's and hotfixes) starts it detects com1, com2 and
> lpt1 anyway, and then reports that the second modem has a problem. When I
> force the IRQ's, after disabling the incorrectly detected com and lpt ports,
> the machine crashes with a BSOD.
>
> I moved the modems to a totally different server (a dual 1GHz PIII server)
> and the problem is exactly the same, so my suspicion that the BIOS in the
> Dell PE1400 is the problem, was proven wrong. It's actually windows 2000
> server that stuffs this up.
>
> So my question is: Is it possible to tell W2K that no COM or LPT ports are
> installed? (ie I don't want auto-detection). I think then I'd be able to
> manually config the modems to work correctly. Of course I don't want the
> modems autodetected either...

Try this: *enable* the ports in the BIOS, but disable them in
Device Manager. In the past I have found that to work quite
well with respect to freeing up IRQs for modems.

"Rob Stow" <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Try this: *enable* the ports in the BIOS, but disable them in Device
> Manager. In the past I have found that to work quite well with respect
> to freeing up IRQs for modems.

Will do and report back.