Any wireless usb/pci adapter that works with 64 bit Win7?

trale

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I've just built a new core-i7 system running Win7 64 bit, but none of my existing wireless adapters are able to get a working internet connection. I have an Airlink wirelessN, Dlink wireless g, and an Encore PCI card. None of it worked, and after some Googling, I found that this is a widespread problem - many of these devices simply do not work in Windows 7 64 bit.

I have no clue if this is a drivers problem that simply will take some time for manufacturers to address. But Windows 7 beta has already been out for a while, so this is discouraging.

Are there any existing known reliable wireless adapters (specific models) that work with Windows 7 64 bit? I'm desperate to find one that works, preferably something I can get at a store (Frys or Best Buy) so I can test it immediately.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I'm surprised you are having this problem....I have used several adapters under windows 7 64bit, and they have all been plug and play . Is it possible you installed new drivers for a device that is causing the problems? Start by uninstalling all your software and drivers for any wireless card you've added, then reinstall the device using only the windows drivers.

trale

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

Can you list the exact models of your adapters that worked?

I'm having no luck at all.

Any wireless adapter will need a 64 bit driver to work with Windows 7. If the company provides a Vista 64 bit driver for your wireless adapter, that driver will very likely work, load it up. If the company who released the wireless adapter does not provide a 64 bit Vista driver available for download on the online product page, the adapter will not work with Vista/Windows 7.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009

jwinberg1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I also just built an i7 860 system, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, and am flailing trying to get a PCI wireless G adapter that works well. Several adapters simply would not fly, even Linksys tech support simply gave up. I note with interest that some folks brush aside this difficulty, but apparently there are a number of us who are struggling. The closest I have come to a solution, is with a Belkin USB unit that does not receive the wireless signal well, but is better than nothing.

I'll persist, but really wish there was a clean cut solution.

Jack Winberg

jack.winberg@verizon.net

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I still wonder if some of the problem is being caused by your old wireless drivers...as I stated before, I have never had to install any drivers, since widows 7 (ultimate 64) installs them automatically. If you are doing an upgrade from an older OS, you need to delete your old wireless drivers and any associated programs, and then give it a try. If you are doing a clean install, don't install the drivers and programs contained on the disc. First try just plugging it in and letting windows 7 auto detect and install the correct drivers. I've personally used at least 5 different USB wireless devices under windows 7, and they have all worked flawlessly out of the box for both my clients and I. I've also never had any problem reported from someone who has bought one of my computers using windows 7, even when they are using their own adapters. So my guess is this is a software/driver issue when the older drivers are still on the computer someplace. The adapter I linked to in the post above has been used by my clients and me in several windows 7 builds, is confirmed working, and is dirt cheap. So if you are still having problems after uninstalling the old software and drivers I suggest trying that.

""and am flailing trying to get a PCI wireless G adapter that works well. Several adapters simply would not fly,""

A comment like this says nothing. Which adapters are you referring to? Give a link or model nmber of the adapters that will not work with Win 7 64. No need to insert your email address when posting. Sheesh.

jwinberg1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hi belial2k:

Thanks very much for your suggestions, much appreciated.

I wish that was the case, as it would be an easy fix. Alas, mine is a brand new system, and I carefully clean out all the older drivers before attempting a new hardware install. I also attempted all of the approaches you suggested, with little success.

I'll be delighted to try the adapter you suggested, and have also ordered a Zonet card that the manufacturers website states has been tested with Win 7 64 bit. I'll report what works.

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I steal this off of netgear forum.

I recently bought the Netgear WN111V2 to connect my PC (Windows 7 RC 64-bit) to a cable wireless network (Netgear FM114P router). I popped the CD in the tray and went through the setup process only to find that when I plugged the usb dongle in the computer wouldn't recognise it. I could also double-click on the smart wizard and it would show up for a few seconds but then disappear.

Not to be defeated, I hit the web in search of an answer (using my old laptop). It seemed there were many other people with the same or similar problems and they managed to fix it but failed to clearly outline how they had managed it. Pretty bloody frustrating I have to say.

I kept at it and thankfully the stupid thing is now working, and this is where I share my solution.

I’m assuming at this stage that you have run the setup.exe found on your product CD and the dongle is plugged in.

Step 1:
Go to the Microsoft Update catalog (http://catalog.upd2ate.microsoft.com/...e/Support.aspx) and type WN111V2 in the search box in the top right corner. This will generate a list of updates (currently 6). I downloaded the first 2 on the list to my desktop. I probably only needed the x86 version but I put downloaded both to be sure.

Step 2:
Extract each of the downloaded files (they are cabinet files which contain 3 other files when extracted) and place the 3 generated files into the “Netgear driver folder”.

NB. On my computer the Netgear driver folder is located on C drive, program files (x86), Netgear, WN111v2, driver. In other words, click the start button (windows logo bottom left corner), then click on Computer, then double click C drive, then program files (x86), then netgear, then WN111v2, then driver.

Step 2a:
You may face an error message at this point (Error = Access is denied). If this happens, navigate to your netgear driver folder, right-click and go to properties, then click on the security tab and change the permissions for the current user profile. You’ll probably need administrator privileges for this.

Your netgear driver folder should now have the 6 files (plus others) extracted from the cabinet files you downloaded from the Microsoft Update catalog. If you’ve only downloaded 1 of the Update catalog cabinet files obviously you’ll only have 3 newly extracted files.

Step 3:
You now need to make the computer recognise the updated driver. I’m writing this guide a few hours after I fixed my problem and I’m not 100% sure what I did at this stage, but there are 2 possibilities…

a. In Windows, go to Control Panel, then under Hardware and Sound click on View devices and printers, right click on your USB dongle (on my PC this shows up as USB2.0 WLAN but it might be different on yours) and click on Troubleshoot, then follow the prompts and direct windows to the Netgear driver folder when asked if you have drivers in a specific location. If this works, you should hear a positive notification sound and you’re in business. If this doesn’t work, try option b.

b. In Windows, go to Control Panel, then under Hardware and Sound click on View devices and printers, right click on your USB dongle (on my PC this shows up as USB2.0 WLAN but it might be different on yours) and click on Properties, then click on the Hardware tab, then click on Properties (bottom right), then click on Change settings, then click on the Driver tab, then click on the Update Driver button, then click on the “Browse my computer for driver software” and navigate to the Netgear driver folder, then click next.

I’m 99% sure this will solve the 64-bit Windows 7 compatibility issue for the Netgear WN111v2 for anyone concerned. If it doesn’t, I wish you the best of luck in working out a solution. It has definitely worked for me.

Good luck!

G

So the ZEW2508A will work on the eMachine PC I just bought with Windows 7?

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I can't imagine that it wouldn't...I've used it countless times on my builds using windows 7, and it has never failed yet. All my builds use windows 7 ultimate 64bit, but I don't think the the windows 7 version or pc maker should affect what devices work.