Samsung OTA tuner zoom mode doesn't work right?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 6, 2004 12:59:21 PM

I have a Samsung SIR-T151 and a Sony 53" KP-53HS30 4:3.

The 151 is supposed to have a zoom mode that enlarges a 16:9 broadcast
horizontally AND vertically to fill a 4:3 screen (so a 4:3 image in a
16:9 broadcast should fill the screen, at least that's how they show
it in the manual with the left and right sides cropped off the 16:9
broadcast). However when I use the zoom mode it just stretches the
4:3 image wider to fill the screen horizontally (into a 16:9 image)
and leaves the black bars at the bottom and top.

Has anyone had any luck getting this feature to work they way it
should?

I know I can use s-video for full screen but I'd rather keep the 1080i
resolution.

Thanks for any info, Steve
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
April 6, 2004 4:16:33 PM

Steve,
Not sure is this will help. I just connected a SIR-T151 to my old
Zenith SDTV using the composite video (no s-video) and zoom works on
some broadcasts but not all. If the broadcast is HDTV (16:9) I can
select 3 modes. If the broadcast is 4:3 SDTV and I select zoom, I get a
'Full Only' message in the screen and zoom will not work. Of course this
may not apply to the 1080i setting.

Steve wrote:
> I have a Samsung SIR-T151 and a Sony 53" KP-53HS30 4:3.
>
> The 151 is supposed to have a zoom mode that enlarges a 16:9 broadcast
> horizontally AND vertically to fill a 4:3 screen (so a 4:3 image in a
> 16:9 broadcast should fill the screen, at least that's how they show
> it in the manual with the left and right sides cropped off the 16:9
> broadcast). However when I use the zoom mode it just stretches the
> 4:3 image wider to fill the screen horizontally (into a 16:9 image)
> and leaves the black bars at the bottom and top.
>
> Has anyone had any luck getting this feature to work they way it
> should?
>
> I know I can use s-video for full screen but I'd rather keep the 1080i
> resolution.
>
> Thanks for any info, Steve
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
April 6, 2004 11:45:34 PM

On 6 Apr 2004 08:59:21 -0700, progame@hotmail.com (Steve) wrote:

>I have a Samsung SIR-T151 and a Sony 53" KP-53HS30 4:3.
>
>The 151 is supposed to have a zoom mode that enlarges a 16:9 broadcast
> horizontally AND vertically to fill a 4:3 screen (so a 4:3 image in a
>16:9 broadcast should fill the screen, at least that's how they show
>it in the manual with the left and right sides cropped off the 16:9
>broadcast). However when I use the zoom mode it just stretches the
>4:3 image wider to fill the screen horizontally (into a 16:9 image)
>and leaves the black bars at the bottom and top.
>
>Has anyone had any luck getting this feature to work they way it
>should?
>
>I know I can use s-video for full screen but I'd rather keep the 1080i
>resolution.
>
>Thanks for any info, Steve

I have the same combo. Page 64 of the "TV" manual. It seems the TV
locks the screen ratio to 16:9 unless you have a 480p input. Notice on
the TV screen in the TV/MENU/SETUP there should be a "greyed" out line
you can barely see that says 16:9 Enhanced Auto. Which seems to mean
16:9 all the time.
In the T151 480p output setting on the back there you can then set the
"TV" Menu/Setup 16:9 Enhanced mode to On/Off. All very confusing!
a b Ô Samsung
April 13, 2004 2:38:09 PM

On 6 Apr 2004 08:59:21 -0700, progame@hotmail.com (Steve) wrote:

>I have a Samsung SIR-T151 and a Sony 53" KP-53HS30 4:3.
>
>The 151 is supposed to have a zoom mode that enlarges a 16:9 broadcast
> horizontally AND vertically to fill a 4:3 screen

I have a sir351 with the same problem, and I connect to a 4x3 screen
by comnposite video

On PBS SD, it locks the aspect ration in Full, and it looks fine

When I use full on a letterbox transmission, it only expands the
vertical . When I use zoom on a letter box transmission, it fills the
screen, but overexpands the horizontal, making everyone look short and
squat

I have not found a way arond the problem
April 14, 2004 1:21:54 PM

george1pds@excite.com wrote in message news:<2mun7019tamkmp96hjmlj6cvei8qv8d20o@4ax.com>...
> On 6 Apr 2004 08:59:21 -0700, progame@hotmail.com (Steve) wrote:
>
> >I have a Samsung SIR-T151 and a Sony 53" KP-53HS30 4:3.
> >
> >The 151 is supposed to have a zoom mode that enlarges a 16:9 broadcast
> > horizontally AND vertically to fill a 4:3 screen

> I have not found a way arond the problem

I guess the problem is the Sony TV will always put a 1080i signal in
16:9. (because 1080i should only be 16:9). So when I use the zoom
mode the samsung it expands the picture the fill the screen but then
the sony compresses it to letterbox. It would be nice to have manual
control over this (and I probably would have bought something
different if I had known) but I got a really good deal on my equipment
so I can't complain.

The picture still looks great in s-video but it's a pain to have to
switch inputs between HD and SD (component and s-vid) because I have
to change the samsung output to zoom (while in HD because the menus
don't show up on s-video) then switch the TV input to the s-vid input.
I'll never get my wife to understand the process.

I guess the moral of the story is buy a 16:9 TV. HD 16:9 fills the
screen. SD 4:3 doesn't fill the screen but the image quality is worse
so it's better to have the smaller image the lower resolution image.
!