file copy - Just need HELP!

If we copy a file to the server that is 8.3 or less and it's in lower
case, it changes it to all caps. If it's long file name all is well, it
keeps the format. Can anyone tell me why this is doing it.
we use W2K on PC with MS client (Not Client 32) copy to NW 5.1. I have a pc
that has Client 32 and there is no problem with the copy
changing size. Of course I called NW and was told to check the MS cause if
it works with Client 32 then the problem is some how related to MS client
I don't care who's to blame I just NEED help

Thanks
jessie

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:08:02 -0700, "jessiemc12"
<jessiemc12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If we copy a file to the server that is 8.3 or less and it's in lower
>case, it changes it to all caps. If it's long file name all is well, it
>keeps the format. Can anyone tell me why this is doing it.

This may be a dumb question, but I wonder what you use to
copy. Whatever it is is apparently defaulting to the DOS
8.3 file naming convention whenever it can. That will
always be in CAPS.

I'm just guessing, but a batch file which would use cmd.exe
might do that. It may be that using something like XXCOPY

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

would do the trick of maintaining LFNs (which is what you
clearly want) and thus the lower cases when they exist in
the source file name.

Art

>we use W2K on PC with MS client (Not Client 32) copy to NW 5.1. I have a pc
>that has Client 32 and there is no problem with the copy
>changing size. Of course I called NW and was told to check the MS cause if
>it works with Client 32 then the problem is some how related to MS client
>I don't care who's to blame I just NEED help
>
>Thanks
>jessie

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

For example I create a file on the c drive, right click copy/cut then paste
to the server.

"Art" wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:08:02 -0700, "jessiemc12"
> <jessiemc12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >If we copy a file to the server that is 8.3 or less and it's in lower
> >case, it changes it to all caps. If it's long file name all is well, it
> >keeps the format. Can anyone tell me why this is doing it.
>
> This may be a dumb question, but I wonder what you use to
> copy. Whatever it is is apparently defaulting to the DOS
> 8.3 file naming convention whenever it can. That will
> always be in CAPS.
>
> I'm just guessing, but a batch file which would use cmd.exe
> might do that. It may be that using something like XXCOPY
>
> http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm
>
> would do the trick of maintaining LFNs (which is what you
> clearly want) and thus the lower cases when they exist in
> the source file name.
>
> Art
>
> >we use W2K on PC with MS client (Not Client 32) copy to NW 5.1. I have a pc
> >that has Client 32 and there is no problem with the copy
> >changing size. Of course I called NW and was told to check the MS cause if
> >it works with Client 32 then the problem is some how related to MS client
> >I don't care who's to blame I just NEED help
> >
> >Thanks
> >jessie
> >

> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:49:02 -0700, "jessiemc12"
<jessiemc12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>For example I create a file on the c drive, right click copy/cut then paste
>to the server.

Then, ya got me :) Sorry, I can't help. I would have thought that
Windows would always preserve proper LFNs doing it that way.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg