Cant get windows to reconize my dual core???

gscrugg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I just build a brand new computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo 6300, Asus P5N-E SLI Board and Windows will not recognize my dual core cpu. CPU-Z only reports 1 cpu and coretemp only shows 1 cpu temp. I do not know what to do.. Ive tried reinstalling windows xp pro w/sp2 twice now and it will not fix the problem. As far as i know i have the latest bios according to the website.. Anyone know how to solve this?

gscrugg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Asus P5N-E SLI nforce 650i
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Corsair HX520 Powersupply
OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 @ 4-4-4-12 2.1V
Western Digital 160gb Hd w/16mb l2 cache
Sapphire x1900GT w/256mb ram
Sound Blaster 5.1 Live
Scythe Ninja Heatsink w/AS5

woollyjl

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Check bios. I know on the 680i bios there is a setting where you can turn off the second core. Perhaps yours is off there. I believe its under CPU config area.

Hope this helps

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
you sure its a X2?
you didnt confuse yourself with a 3800 AMD single core?

remember that there are (very rare... ) some single core 3800 with the manchester core ( Ie, 1 core defective )

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Only shows 1 graph.

First, I'd check the BIOS as suggested above. Then, see if Device Manager shows two processors under the Processors group.

um... pc specs? board, cpu, psu, etc?

LOL, he mentioned them in the first post. Since when does the PSU have anything to do with how many processors are seen? :lol:

EDIT: After reading the manual, the only option I saw was for HyperThreading. I'm not sure whether Asus tied that to the second core or not, but it's worth a shot (a long shot). While you're in that section, it shows the processor info. Does it show up as a Core 2 Duo?

gscrugg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
The only thing it shows in device manager is "Standard Pc" .... I just checked the BIOS and theres nothing about turning on/off the 2nd core.. Also CPU-Z at the bottom says 1 core 1 thread..?

also, i dont see anything about processors in device manager..?

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
The only thing it shows in device manager is "Standard Pc" .... I just checked the BIOS and theres nothing about turning on/off the 2nd core.. Also CPU-Z at the bottom says 1 core 1 thread..?

also, i dont see anything about processors in device manager..?

Hmm... In XP, just below Ports is Processors. Mine says:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60Ghz

gscrugg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Mine does not have that, but i see what you are saying because my laptop has it there... I dont know what to do, ive reinstalled windows already a couple of times. It shows that i have a core 2 duo in the general tab under my computer though??

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Was the HyperThreading option enabled? If so, the only other thing I can think of is to ensure your BIOS is updated to the latest.

EDIT: I just checked my Dell Dimension 4700 and it shows processors in Dev Mgr as well. Are you sure this is XP Pro? Mine are both XP Pro, and I don't have an XP Home machine to look at.

EDIT 2: After looking here it appears XP Home does not support multiple CPUs (and I am assuming multiple cores since they appear as multiple CPUs). Additionally, that would explain why there is no processors group, as you'll only have one supported anyway.

gscrugg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
100% sure its xp pro. Also, i do not have that hyperthreating option in the bios, my bios also looks different from the one in the manual so i dont know what is going on. My bios revision is 0202 which is the latest according to the website...

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
100% sure its xp pro. Also, i do not have that hyperthreating option in the bios, my bios also looks different from the one in the manual so i dont know what is going on. My bios revision is 0202 which is the latest according to the website...

Right-click My Computer and hit Properties. On the General tab, it will say "Professional" below "Microsoft Windows XP".

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
here it appears XP Home does not support multiple CPUs (and I am assuming multiple cores since they appear as multiple CPUs). Additionally, that would explain why there is no processors group, as you'll only have one supported anyway.
As far as i know Windows XP Home supports two cores, but not two sockets. I might be wrong though. :wink:

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I found this on AMD forums talking about same thing... It may help if someone who knows a little more can verify that it has potential :)

" It's possible to update the configuration without reinstall all in XP and 2000.

Right click on "standard PC", select update driver and select "Install from a list of specific location (Advanced)".

After select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." and then "ACPI Mulprocessor PC".

Here, perhaps, you must deselect "show compatible hardware".

After that, windows must restart and rediscovery the modifications.

Perhaps, windows will ask some drivers after reboot. "

alpham22

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
To clarify on wondering if you show two processors. Just right click on my computer and look at your computer info. It should indicate two of the same processing speeds going.

As far as your problem not seeing the processors, call intell not microsoft to solve the problem. And if all else fails call asus for any help. As for your motherboard, is it the Deluxe or SE edition?

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Did you reinstall from scratch or just do a repair?

I had this problem once and it was definatly due to windows not loading the HAL correctly.
I used this method to correct it http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/1-vt12269.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

You might want to wait till some more experienced people have looked at this link and given thier advice, They may know an easier way I know this worked for me though.

That was on an AMD X2 for me however.

occdavid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
not sure if you checked here yet, but under Task manager with the Performance tab selected you say you only see one graph for CPU Usage History? if so what is selected under View -> CPU History? (do you have One graph per CPU selected?)

Anybody know if windows users rights would affect this? As in if he is not logged in with admin rights would he be seeing things like not being able to update a driver?

gscrugg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Yes, I have that and it only shows 1 cpu. Also I am admin on my computer. Should i try to run prime95 or something to see if both cores are working?

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
well I'm guessing here... but if under hardware properties it doens't list your computer... perhaps you forgot to install it? :lol:

occdavid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Are you saying I read the whole thread or not??? cause if you're saying I didn't then quote me where someone asked if he had his view set correctly for showing both CPU's.