NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I hope it hasn't been ask before. Sorry if that's the case, I'm at work on break now.

I have got a G7 cordless mouse from my parents as a part of my birthday gift a few days ago. I only want to get some input by the ones here that use it. How long last the battery first of all and is it worth installing the included software since it's detected by Windows and work flawlessly, including the resolution change button (from 400 to 800 and 2000 DPI :twisted: ). Also, is it really important to get complete discharge cycle before switching battery. I'm asking because if not I'll make sure to switch before long gaming sessions.

I'm asking because I'm getting a new computer in late february (late enough to know if I should stick with XP or go Vista 64-bit.) and I don't want to add any unnecessary software since I'll have to reformat and reinstall before it makes the travel to my father's office :D .

For everybody elses, it is trully amazing when compare to my current MX300 Logitech mouse that I used until recently (800 DPI). More precise and smooter on the surface. Only not sure yet about battery life before I need to put in included replacement battery.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I have had my g7 for a few months now.

-The battery life is around 8-10 hours (depending on use) for each battery (there are 2 of them, one charges while your using the other) I work at home and I play world of warcraft for about 8hours after work (6-7hour workday), so my G7 gets plenty of everyday use :)
-It takes about 2 hours to charge the battery.
-The software is nice because you can set the battery % in which you will get alerted when the bettery life gets low. (I used to have it set at 10%...now I have it set at 5%) The program only uses 6200kb on computer memory while the program is running in the taskbar.
-Discharge cycles are not too big of a deal because they will warn you when the battery needs to be changed.

-My advice is to stick with Windows XP until Microsoft releases there first Service pack for Vista. This will allow you to escape from having any issues/performance issues.

It is a truely amazing mouse....and if you want to go 1000 steps more accurate, get an ICEMAT.(you can read my review as well)

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I have got a G7 cordless mouse from my parents as a part of my birthday gift a few days ago.

Congratulations - it's a very good mouse.

How long last the battery?
A week is typical.

is it worth installing the included software since it's detected by Windows and work flawlessly, including the resolution change button (from 400 to 800 and 2000 DPI :twisted: ).

It is not nessesary, but you get a lot more adjustments with the SetPoint software. And you can't customize the buttons without the software.
But there is also a point to not install the Logitech software, as it does give the system another service to run. If you are afraid uninstalling the software, will leave the system a mess, you shouldn't be. Setpoint is rather well behaved.
Install it if you want to tweak the use of your mouse - use standard windows driver if you want the leanest possible system.

Also, is it really important to get complete discharge cycle before switching battery. I'm asking because if not I'll make sure to switch before long gaming sessions.

No, you can change any time you like. In fact it's best if you do not discharge it completely.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Thanks to both of you.

I'll install the included application on my new computer in february and will stick to Windows driver for now.

About Vista 3lfk1ng, I want it for Dx10 that it brings us, but not at all cost. So I'll wait for review that'll be aplenty in february to make my decision. Most important factor will be games compatibility for the 64-bit version of Vista. I only hope that it'll be better than XP 64-bit, otherwise I'll skip it... or will go dual-boot after first Service Pack.