DVI resolution limited to 640 x 480

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help. HDTV = Sony KV32HS500
which is suppose to have 1080i capability. Video card = ATI AIW 8500DV with
DVI output and component video output (via ATI dongle). When I use DVI,
resolution is limited to 640 x 480. Someone on this newsgroup recently
recommended selecting a Sony monitor (GDM-w900) as my output device. This
allowed me to chose a resolution of 1280 x 1024 (my HDTV has a 4:3 aspect
ratio). This was much better except that the 1280 x 1024 only fills up the
central area of my HDTV screen. I still get black lines on the top, bottom,
left and right sides of my screen - these are unused portions. Any
suggestions out there? I tried using powerstrip but that didn't really seem
to do anything useful. When I use the ATI dongle for component video output,
my display is always in 16:9 aspect ratio (for example, 1152 x 648) which is
not useful.

adrian
3 answers Last reply
More about resolution limited

    Adrian Nguyen wrote:
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help. HDTV = Sony
    > KV32HS500 which is suppose to have 1080i capability. Video card = ATI
    > AIW 8500DV with DVI output and component video output (via ATI
    > dongle). When I use DVI, resolution is limited to 640 x 480. Someone
    > on this newsgroup recently recommended selecting a Sony monitor
    > (GDM-w900) as my output device. This allowed me to chose a resolution
    > of 1280 x 1024 (my HDTV has a 4:3 aspect ratio). This was much better
    > except that the 1280 x 1024 only fills up the central area of my HDTV
    > screen. I still get black lines on the top, bottom, left and right
    > sides of my screen - these are unused portions. Any suggestions out
    > there? I tried using powerstrip but that didn't really seem to do
    > anything useful. When I use the ATI dongle for component video
    > output, my display is always in 16:9 aspect ratio (for example, 1152
    > x 648) which is not useful.
    >
    > adrian

    Have you tried using DVI for the connection instead of component?

    --
    David G.

    I'm in the same group as you. I have the exact same TV except I'm using
    an NVIDIA card with DVI output (not that it makes a difference). From
    what I have determined, you are stuck at a ?x480. If you go higher, it'll
    change the horizontal sync rate from 31 hz to 33.5 hz which will trigger
    the TV to go into 16:9 mode. So if you're looking for a 4:3 resolution,
    you're stuck with 640x480, 720x480, etc.

    The TV can do other resolutions such as 540p, 720p, and 1080i, but they'll
    be letterboxed 16:9 resolution.

    We're both out of luck when it comes to 4:3.

    On Tue,
    06 Apr 2004 21:51:59 +0000, Adrian Nguyen wrote:

    > Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help. HDTV = Sony KV32HS500
    > which is suppose to have 1080i capability. Video card = ATI AIW 8500DV with
    > DVI output and component video output (via ATI dongle). When I use DVI,
    > resolution is limited to 640 x 480. Someone on this newsgroup recently
    > recommended selecting a Sony monitor (GDM-w900) as my output device. This
    > allowed me to chose a resolution of 1280 x 1024 (my HDTV has a 4:3 aspect
    > ratio). This was much better except that the 1280 x 1024 only fills up the
    > central area of my HDTV screen. I still get black lines on the top, bottom,
    > left and right sides of my screen - these are unused portions. Any
    > suggestions out there? I tried using powerstrip but that didn't really seem
    > to do anything useful. When I use the ATI dongle for component video output,
    > my display is always in 16:9 aspect ratio (for example, 1152 x 648) which is
    > not useful.
    >
    > adrian

    I have a KV32HS500 as well and I'm having a horrid time trying to set
    up DVI with. Where can I find a list of all the available resolutions
    (with timeings, h/vsync rates etc.) And am I to understand whenever
    the hsync goes over 31 I'll get those ugly bars?

    Is anyone else setting up a DVI connection to this tv on linux?

    Todd Jeffreys <paladine@EVOMERgrnet.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.04.07.03.21.40.780154@EVOMERgrnet.com>...
    > I'm in the same group as you. I have the exact same TV except I'm using
    > an NVIDIA card with DVI output (not that it makes a difference). From
    > what I have determined, you are stuck at a ?x480. If you go higher, it'll
    > change the horizontal sync rate from 31 hz to 33.5 hz which will trigger
    > the TV to go into 16:9 mode. So if you're looking for a 4:3 resolution,
    > you're stuck with 640x480, 720x480, etc.
    >
    > The TV can do other resolutions such as 540p, 720p, and 1080i, but they'll
    > be letterboxed 16:9 resolution.
    >
    > We're both out of luck when it comes to 4:3.
    >

    > On Tue,
    > 06 Apr 2004 21:51:59 +0000, Adrian Nguyen wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help. HDTV = Sony KV32HS500
    > > which is suppose to have 1080i capability. Video card = ATI AIW 8500DV with
    > > DVI output and component video output (via ATI dongle). When I use DVI,
    > > resolution is limited to 640 x 480. Someone on this newsgroup recently
    > > recommended selecting a Sony monitor (GDM-w900) as my output device. This
    > > allowed me to chose a resolution of 1280 x 1024 (my HDTV has a 4:3 aspect
    > > ratio). This was much better except that the 1280 x 1024 only fills up the
    > > central area of my HDTV screen. I still get black lines on the top, bottom,
    > > left and right sides of my screen - these are unused portions. Any
    > > suggestions out there? I tried using powerstrip but that didn't really seem
    > > to do anything useful. When I use the ATI dongle for component video output,
    > > my display is always in 16:9 aspect ratio (for example, 1152 x 648) which is
    > > not useful.
    > >
    > > adrian

HDTV Resolution DVI Home Theatre