20gb hdd, pagefile.sys >10%?

Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after housekeep &
defrag.
Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this please?
6 answers Last reply
More about 20gb pagefile

    Hi,

    Control Panel/System/Advanced tab, click performance settings. On the
    advanced tab, click the Virtual Memory change. You can use the settings here
    to reduce the initial size. If you do this, keep in mind that you will not
    get a full memory dump on system failure, but most do not have any need for
    this troubleshooting option. More on VM here:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after housekeep
    > & defrag.
    > Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this
    > please?

    Hi

    Please try the following article by Alex Nichol regarding Virtual Memory:

    "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after housekeep
    > & defrag.
    > Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this
    > please?

    Len

    How much RAM memory does the machine have?

    Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
    Cleanup with
    Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore
    ( more Options tab )
    and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
    partition you may
    need to do this operation for each drive / partition. The System Restore
    option can provide significant extra free space.

    Then run Disk Defragmenter.

    Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over
    reliance on virtual memory,
    may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an
    earlier version of Windows.
    Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256
    MB is
    recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on
    pagefile (virtual
    memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
    http://www.dougknox.com/

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after
    > housekeep & defrag.
    > Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this
    > please?

    See http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    Open the System Properties by right clicking on My Computer
    and selecting properties. Then on the Advanced tab, then
    Performance. You should be able to reduce the pagefile
    (virtual memory to less than 700 MB. When you change the VM
    setting you must press the set button before you press OK
    (both are required to make the change.)

    Also, reduce the temp Internet cache size reserved by
    Internet Explorer,

    Len Dolby wrote:

    >Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after housekeep &
    >defrag.
    >Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this please?

    See section on the file at my page www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    Thanks, everyone, for your help and advice! Will implement sap (when next I
    get my hands on her laptop).
    Sincerely, Len

    "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after housekeep
    > & defrag.
    > Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this
    > please?

Pagefile Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP