20gb hdd, pagefile.sys >10%?

January 27, 2005 5:14:05 AM

Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after housekeep &
defrag.
Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this please?

More about : 20gb hdd pagefile sys

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:14:06 AM

Hi,

Control Panel/System/Advanced tab, click performance settings. On the
advanced tab, click the Virtual Memory change. You can use the settings here
to reduce the initial size. If you do this, keep in mind that you will not
get a full memory dump on system failure, but most do not have any need for
this troubleshooting option. More on VM here:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after housekeep
> & defrag.
> Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this
> please?

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:20:42 AM

Hi

Please try the following article by Alex Nichol regarding Virtual Memory:

"Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after housekeep
> & defrag.
> Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this
> please?

January 27, 2005 2:31:58 PM

Len

How much RAM memory does the machine have?

Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore
( more Options tab )
and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
partition you may
need to do this operation for each drive / partition. The System Restore
option can provide significant extra free space.

Then run Disk Defragmenter.

Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over
reliance on virtual memory,
may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an
earlier version of Windows.
Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256
MB is
recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on
pagefile (virtual
memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
http://www.dougknox.com/

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after
> housekeep & defrag.
> Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this
> please?

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:31:59 PM

See http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
Open the System Properties by right clicking on My Computer
and selecting properties. Then on the Advanced tab, then
Performance. You should be able to reduce the pagefile
(virtual memory to less than 700 MB. When you change the VM
setting you must press the set button before you press OK
(both are required to make the change.)

Also, reduce the temp Internet cache size reserved by
Internet Explorer,

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:o ZZqTPGBFHA.2584@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| Len
|
| How much RAM memory does the machine have?
|
| Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System
Tools, Disk
| Cleanup with
| Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional),
System Restore
| ( more Options tab )
| and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more
than one drive /
| partition you may
| need to do this operation for each drive / partition. The
System Restore
| option can provide significant extra free space.
|
| Then run Disk Defragmenter.
|
| Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory,
causing over
| reliance on virtual memory,
| may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP
from an
| earlier version of Windows.
| Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a
minimum of 256
| MB is
| recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may
check on
| pagefile (virtual
| memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
| http://www.dougknox.com/
|

| ~~~~~~
|

| Hope this helps.
|
| Gerry
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| FCA
|
| Stourport, Worcs, England
| Enquire, plan and execute.
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|

| "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
| > Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space
even after
| > housekeep & defrag.
| > Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to
reduce this
| > please?

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:29:22 PM

Len Dolby wrote:

>Just noticed daughter's laptop hdd is tight on space even after housekeep &
>defrag.
>Pagefile.sys is 2.1GB - (more than 10%) any ideas how to reduce this please?

See section on the file at my page www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

January 28, 2005 1:21:41 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your help and advice! Will implement sap (when next I
get my hands on her laptop).
Sincerely, Len

!