OK..Finally chose my rig parts, what do you think?

ZALMAN 9700 LED
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
ASUS P5N-E SLI (just for now) maybe a newer Abit or Asus 680i later
eVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX
2 x Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB for RAID 0
3 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 2 for Raid 5, 1 for junk
CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s

Already purchased:
Armor case
700watt OCZXstream PSU
Samsung 21 inch 215TW

Might change the memory for some regular XM2's from Corsair

THanks,
Eddie
8 answers Last reply
More about finally chose parts think
  1. BTW, this will be my first build. I have always installed my own upgrades but have never built one from the ground up. Also I have only has a laptop for the past 2 years so this is going to be a BIG leap!
  2. I would drop the Dominator for something like Mushkin, G Skill or some Corsair XMS C4 memory but that's my own choice...
  3. Drop the Dominator!
    That version uses promo ics, not micron d9's. Ramlist

Only buy memory with Micron D9's if you want a stable machine that is also capable of serious overclocks.

I recommend the Buffalo Firestix or the Crusial Ballistix (crucial is owned by micron) if your budget concious. If you don't care how much you spend get the hand-picked D9's

Everything looks good beyond my personal prefernce

Happy Building!
    ~3lfk1ng
  4. well ackshally that ram will come in handy if you OC.

also you could probly save some cash and drop to the zalman 9500. theres not too much of a difference.
  5. No, please don't state false information ReverendGadgetBoy.

The dominator TWIN2X2048-6400C4D will not overclock well at all.

The only memory on the market that overclocks well are those that use Micron D9's...
    The dominator TWIN2X2048-6400C4D uses promo ics....which are really bad at overclocking and arent nearly as stable.

See the ramlist for yourself
  6. it seems you are right. sorry for the misinformation. it would seem as though i am wrong.

again sorry for leading you astray. listen to others from now on.
  7. Quote:
    See the ramlist for yourself

About that list, they list 4 different kinds of D9 chips under the super talent i have, how would i figure out which kind i have? short of taking off the heatspeader and looking at the bare IC's.
  8. "This is one PSU that’s not going to be made obsolete any time soon!" Thats just hilarious when the thing has been discontinued!!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product