HDTV Addiction

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 7, 2004 1:56:48 AM

I am watching my new home theater/HDTV even more than I thought I would.
Any thoughts on the life expectancy of one of these sets (Hitachi
51G500A R/Projection) before picture & color start to fade ???????

thanks
Jon H.

More about : hdtv addiction

Anonymous
April 7, 2004 1:56:49 AM

You admitted it, you're an addict. Accept your fate and keep an eye out for
the next fix. When the current ones pales, put it in a secondary location
and move up.

YMMV

"Jon H." <jon54@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I am watching my new home theater/HDTV even more than I thought I would.
> Any thoughts on the life expectancy of one of these sets (Hitachi
> 51G500A R/Projection) before picture & color start to fade ???????
>
> thanks
> Jon H.

Anonymous
April 7, 2004 10:52:41 AM

If you watch 8 hours a day the set should last you about ten years and
then it will still work it will just be running at about 1/2 the
contrast you see now.

This is one reason why people recommend turning your contrast way down
(30-45% on new Hitachi models) so that as the phospher wears you can
gradually increase contrast to compensate, if you do this properly
over time you should be able to get fifteen years or more out of the
TV.

This is what I've read anyway.

-Jeremy
New to HDTV, check out my HDTV Buyers FAQ
http://hdtv.0catch.com

"Jon H." <jon54@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<407327AC.60401@optonline.net>...
> I am watching my new home theater/HDTV even more than I thought I would.
> Any thoughts on the life expectancy of one of these sets (Hitachi
> 51G500A R/Projection) before picture & color start to fade ???????
>
> thanks
> Jon H.
April 7, 2004 1:21:57 PM

Possible Duplicate Message

Jon H. wrote:

> I am watching my new home theater/HDTV even more than I thought I
> would. Any thoughts on the life expectancy of one of these sets
> (Hitachi 51G500A R/Projection) before picture & color start to fade
> ???????
>
> thanks
> Jon H.

Ps EMail reply

Anonymous
April 7, 2004 6:38:33 PM

On 7 Apr 2004 06:52:41 -0700, jeremy@pdq.net (JDeats) wrote:

>If you watch 8 hours a day the set should last you about ten years and
>then it will still work it will just be running at about 1/2 the
>contrast you see now.
>
>This is one reason why people recommend turning your contrast way down
>(30-45% on new Hitachi models) so that as the phospher wears you can
>gradually increase contrast to compensate, if you do this properly
>over time you should be able to get fifteen years or more out of the
>TV.
>
>This is what I've read anyway.
>
>-Jeremy

Of course by then well have holographic laser TV and hell be the
laughing stock of the neighborhood using that old HDTV
April 7, 2004 11:10:46 PM

"Jon H." <jon54@optonline.net> wrote in

> I am watching my new home theater/HDTV even more than I thought I
> would. Any thoughts on the life expectancy of one of these sets
> (Hitachi 51G500A R/Projection) before picture & color start to fade
> ???????
>
> thanks
> Jon H.

the faster you wear out your set, the faster you can upgrade to something
bigger/better.
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 10:25:53 PM

darius <noone@here.invalid> wrote:
: "Jon H." <jon54@optonline.net> wrote in
: news:407327AC.60401@optonline.net...

: > I am watching my new home theater/HDTV even more than I thought I
: > would. Any thoughts on the life expectancy of one of these sets
: > (Hitachi 51G500A R/Projection) before picture & color start to fade
: > ???????
: >
: > thanks
: > Jon H.
: >

: the faster you wear out your set, the faster you can upgrade to something
: bigger/better.

That's the correct attitude!
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 3:01:44 PM

Lyle Merdan <lyle@visi.com> wrote in message news:<407d8231$0$17257$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com>...
> darius <noone@here.invalid> wrote:
> : "Jon H." <jon54@optonline.net> wrote in
> : news:407327AC.60401@optonline.net...
>
> : > I am watching my new home theater/HDTV even more than I thought I
> : > would. Any thoughts on the life expectancy of one of these sets
> : > (Hitachi 51G500A R/Projection) before picture & color start to fade
> : > ???????
> : >
> : > thanks
> : > Jon H.
> : >
>
> : the faster you wear out your set, the faster you can upgrade to something
> : bigger/better.
>
> That's the correct attitude!

And it's wife-proof, too. The wife will have no choice but to agree
when the TV isn't working anymore.
!