AutoUpdate and the Cmd Line Please Help

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Is it possible from a DOS batch file to start auto update on an XP pro
system?

I have searched everywhere and I can't find a command or switches for the
task. I would like to run autoupdate in sequence with XP back and
diskcleanup and then shutdown.

Thanks for all your help,

Joe Hardin
spepa@c-gate.net

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yikes, that sounds dangerous.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c2coff=1&q=.bat+file+autoupdate+xp&spell=1
--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Joe Hardin" <spepa@c-gate.net> wrote in message
> Is it possible from a DOS batch file to start auto update on an XP pro
> system?
>
> I have searched everywhere and I can't find a command or switches for the
> task. I would like to run autoupdate in sequence with XP back and
> diskcleanup and then shutdown.
>
> Thanks for all your help,
>
> Joe Hardin
> spepa@c-gate.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You're right, it is dangerous... LOL

Totally got my system in bits when I tried this... Luckily it was a test
environment...

> Yikes, that sounds dangerous.
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c2coff=1&q=.bat+file+autoupdate+xp&spell=1
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Joe Hardin" <spepa@c-gate.net> wrote in message
>> Is it possible from a DOS batch file to start auto update on an XP pro
>> system?
>>
>> I have searched everywhere and I can't find a command or switches for the
>> task. I would like to run autoupdate in sequence with XP back and
>> diskcleanup and then shutdown.
>>
>> Thanks for all your help,
>>
>> Joe Hardin
>> spepa@c-gate.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Are both of you saying it's dangerous in your opinion to apply updates
unattended?

If so, what's the difference in using the GUI Autoupdate interface and
scheduling such, compared to firing off the update procedure using the
command line, if it's possible. I still haven't found a method to manually
start it from the cmd line.

Or, are you questioning the wisdom of cleaning the disk and backing it up at
shutdown?

Thanks,

Joe

"PaddyBob" <PaddyBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You're right, it is dangerous... LOL
>
> Totally got my system in bits when I tried this... Luckily it was a test
> environment...

>> Yikes, that sounds dangerous.
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c2coff=1&q=.bat+file+autoupdate+xp&spell=1
>> --
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Joe Hardin" <spepa@c-gate.net> wrote in message
>>> Is it possible from a DOS batch file to start auto update on an XP pro
>>> system?
>>>
>>> I have searched everywhere and I can't find a command or switches for
>>> the task. I would like to run autoupdate in sequence with XP back and
>>> diskcleanup and then shutdown.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all your help,
>>>
>>> Joe Hardin
>>> spepa@c-gate.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Joe,

Using the Windows Update Agent API:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wua_sdk/wua/determining_the_current_version_of_wua.asp

Sample script:
Searching, Downloading, and Installing Updates:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wua_sdk/wua/searching__downloading__and_installing_updates.asp

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Joe Hardin wrote:

> If so, what's the difference in using the GUI Autoupdate
> interface and scheduling such, compared to firing off the
> update procedure using the command line, if it's possible.
> I still haven't found a method to manually start it from
> the cmd line.
Hi

There is no ready command line tool available for this. But if you
create a VBScript (see links provided in the post by Ramesh), you
can start it with this command line:

cscript.exe "C:\My Scripts\WUA_SearchDownloadInstall.vbs"

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for your input on the matter.

However, I would like to know your opinion on doing updates this way. You
won't hurt my feelings, I'm just thinking of how to minimize the energized
time at night for a computer.

Thanks,

Joe

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> Joe Hardin wrote:
>
>> If so, what's the difference in using the GUI Autoupdate
>> interface and scheduling such, compared to firing off the
>> update procedure using the command line, if it's possible.
>> I still haven't found a method to manually start it from
>> the cmd line.
> Hi
>
> There is no ready command line tool available for this. But if you
> create a VBScript (see links provided in the post by Ramesh), you
> can start it with this command line:
>
> cscript.exe "C:\My Scripts\WUA_SearchDownloadInstall.vbs"

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Joe,

> Are both of you saying it's dangerous in your opinion to apply updates
> unattended?

Depends on the updates. Driver updates for example can wreck a system. Why
not select your own updates and don't depend on Windows to do it for you?
That is what I call dangerous.

--

Joe Hardin wrote:

> Thanks for your input on the matter.
>
> However, I would like to know your opinion on doing updates
> this way. You won't hurt my feelings, I'm just thinking of
> how to minimize the energized time at night for a computer.
Hi

Personally, I don't use Automatic Updates (AU), I like to evaluate
the updates before installing the ones I see fit.

For people that doesn't feel they have the competence to evaluate what
updates is really needed, I would recommend to use AU (as long as it
doesn't download driver updates, but that I don't think AU does).

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

>Personally, I don't use Automatic Updates (AU), I like to evaluate
>the updates before installing the ones I see fit.

Totally agree, thanks for the comment Torgeir.

--

> Joe Hardin wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your input on the matter.
>>
>> However, I would like to know your opinion on doing updates
>> this way. You won't hurt my feelings, I'm just thinking of
>> how to minimize the energized time at night for a computer.
> Hi
>
> Personally, I don't use Automatic Updates (AU), I like to evaluate
> the updates before installing the ones I see fit.
>
> For people that doesn't feel they have the competence to evaluate what
> updates is really needed, I would recommend to use AU (as long as it
> doesn't download driver updates, but that I don't think AU does).

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

you might want to try wuInstall WuInstall, it does a windows update from the command line with various options.