Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

TWAIN / Canoscan : CPU=100%!

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2005 11:31:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hello folks

I have a Canon LIDE50 scanner under windows 2000pro. The scanner is working
on and off, and sometimes reboots my PC, with or without blue screen.
I noticed that when I start to acquire from the scanner, Scangear CS opens
and my CPU goes up to 100% ; that might actually cause CPU overheating and
could explain a BIOS-triggered reboot.

Is this a "normal" TWAIN behavior under W2K to eat up all CPU time ? Is
Canoscan Scangear/CS or the LiDE50 driver in cause ? Or do I have a problem
with my configuration that causes the CPU to jump up so high when scanning ?

Thanks in advance for your advice in resolving this problem.
--
NZ

More about : twain canoscan cpu 100

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2005 11:31:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

My UMAX Astra1200S with standard Vistascan W2k driver set, including
TWAIN, pushes CPU intermittently between 2-8% while scanning a
typewritten 8.5x11 b&w page. Max, at the end while formatting a TIFF or
JPEG image is a subsecong 10%. AMD XP2000+ CPU.

I'd think either you have a very slow CPU, some hardware problem, a
defective scanner-set installation, or some concurrent process (instant
OCR, for example) that is using all those CPU cycles. Reinstalling the
Canon-supplied scanner suite might be a start toward diagnosis.

I'm assuming the BSODs & reboots occur only in scanner-related
circumstances.

Nico wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> I have a Canon LIDE50 scanner under windows 2000pro. The scanner is working
> on and off, and sometimes reboots my PC, with or without blue screen.
> I noticed that when I start to acquire from the scanner, Scangear CS opens
> and my CPU goes up to 100% ; that might actually cause CPU overheating and
> could explain a BIOS-triggered reboot.
>
> Is this a "normal" TWAIN behavior under W2K to eat up all CPU time ? Is
> Canoscan Scangear/CS or the LiDE50 driver in cause ? Or do I have a problem
> with my configuration that causes the CPU to jump up so high when scanning ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice in resolving this problem.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2005 2:37:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

From: "Nico" <nzeches_Beurk@LeSpam_free.fr>

| Hello folks
|
| I have a Canon LIDE50 scanner under windows 2000pro. The scanner is working
| on and off, and sometimes reboots my PC, with or without blue screen.
| I noticed that when I start to acquire from the scanner, Scangear CS opens
| and my CPU goes up to 100% ; that might actually cause CPU overheating and
| could explain a BIOS-triggered reboot.
|
| Is this a "normal" TWAIN behavior under W2K to eat up all CPU time ? Is
| Canoscan Scangear/CS or the LiDE50 driver in cause ? Or do I have a problem
| with my configuration that causes the CPU to jump up so high when scanning ?
|
| Thanks in advance for your advice in resolving this problem.
| --
| NZ
|

Go to the Canon Web Site and download the latest drivers from the web site. Completely
remove the old drivers then install the new drivers. Even if the drivers are the same
version, I suggest uninstalling and reoinstalling the Canon drivers.

BTW: If your system is cleaned of all dust around the CPU cooling fan, this can not happen.
If not, anything can cause the CPU to overheat.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2005 3:00:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> a écrit dans le message de
news:%23nWbpHwiFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> My UMAX Astra1200S with standard Vistascan W2k driver set, including
> TWAIN, pushes CPU intermittently between 2-8% while scanning a
> typewritten 8.5x11 b&w page. Max, at the end while formatting a TIFF or
> JPEG image is a subsecong 10%. AMD XP2000+ CPU.

My CPU is an AMD XP2100+ ; my drivers are up to date from Canon web site.
The 100% CPU occur whatever the software (microsoft photo editor, jasc paint
shop pro, Arcsoft Photostudio or Omnipage OCR), as long as the Scangear CS
window is opened.

> I'm assuming the BSODs & reboots occur only in scanner-related
> circumstances.

Indeed.

By the way, sometimes a subprocess (no PID) called "wowexec" under NTVDM.exe
appears that seems to freeze the scan process (was probably not terminated
by a previous scan). When I kill this process, the ScanGear CS window opens
normally.

Looks like something weird is happening with this system.
Anybody got a Canon LIDE scanner with a normal CPU / process behavior ?

Thanks in advance
--
NZ
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2005 3:00:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

From: "Nico" <nzeches_Beurk@LeSpam_free.fr>


|
| Indeed.
|
| By the way, sometimes a subprocess (no PID) called "wowexec" under NTVDM.exe
| appears that seems to freeze the scan process (was probably not terminated
| by a previous scan). When I kill this process, the ScanGear CS window opens
| normally.
|
| Looks like something weird is happening with this system.
| Anybody got a Canon LIDE scanner with a normal CPU / process behavior ?
|
| Thanks in advance
| --
| NZ
|

My LiDE 30 works just fine under Win2K and WinME.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2005 3:00:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Nico - wowexec is the W2K process that supports 16-bit operation, so the
OS thinks there's a 16-bit component somewhere. That may indicate a
software scramble in the Canon suite, at least as installed on that
machine. (Or maybe there's actually a 16-bit Canon component in the W2k
driver set, which isn't a great idea.)

I still think complete uninstall/boot/reinstall of Canon software is
worth a shot.

Good idea asking if anybody has the Canon setup problem-free. I'd thinki
Canon tech support might be a help there. Good luck.

Nico wrote:

> "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> a écrit dans le message de
> news:%23nWbpHwiFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>My UMAX Astra1200S with standard Vistascan W2k driver set, including
>>TWAIN, pushes CPU intermittently between 2-8% while scanning a
>>typewritten 8.5x11 b&w page. Max, at the end while formatting a TIFF or
>>JPEG image is a subsecong 10%. AMD XP2000+ CPU.
>
>
> My CPU is an AMD XP2100+ ; my drivers are up to date from Canon web site.
> The 100% CPU occur whatever the software (microsoft photo editor, jasc paint
> shop pro, Arcsoft Photostudio or Omnipage OCR), as long as the Scangear CS
> window is opened.
>
>
>>I'm assuming the BSODs & reboots occur only in scanner-related
>>circumstances.
>
>
> Indeed.
>
> By the way, sometimes a subprocess (no PID) called "wowexec" under NTVDM.exe
> appears that seems to freeze the scan process (was probably not terminated
> by a previous scan). When I kill this process, the ScanGear CS window opens
> normally.
>
> Looks like something weird is happening with this system.
> Anybody got a Canon LIDE scanner with a normal CPU / process behavior ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> NZ
>
>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2005 3:13:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> a écrit dans le message de
news:u9Vp9Y6iFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> BTW: If your system is cleaned of all dust around the CPU cooling fan,
this can not happen.
> If not, anything can cause the CPU to overheat.


Indeed, I cleaned the CPU fan/cooler and the CPU temperature went down a bit
:-)
At least that improved the "mad reboot", but the CPU 100% straightline is
still there upon starting up ScanGear/CS...

--
NZ
!