Stop command line window from closing

After running a command line prompt, the "DOS" window automatically
closes. How do I keep it open? Win XP Pro.
Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about stop command line window closing

    junior wrote:
    > After running a command line prompt, the "DOS" window automatically
    > closes. How do I keep it open? Win XP Pro.

    How are you starting this "cmd prompt"? Batch? Start -> Run? Other?

    For example.. From Start -> Run you could type 'cmd /k command'
    ( cmd /k ipconfig /all )

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    That did the trick.
    I was just using Start > Run 'ipconfig /all'

    Thanks much!

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:22:34 -0600, "Shenan Stanley"
    <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote:

    >junior wrote:
    >> After running a command line prompt, the "DOS" window automatically
    >> closes. How do I keep it open? Win XP Pro.
    >
    >How are you starting this "cmd prompt"? Batch? Start -> Run? Other?
    >
    >For example.. From Start -> Run you could type 'cmd /k command'
    >( cmd /k ipconfig /all )
    >
    >--
    ><- Shenan ->

    Go to Start | Run and type
    cmd
    and click OK. In the Command Window type
    ipconfig /all

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    <junior@senior.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > That did the trick.
    > I was just using Start > Run 'ipconfig /all'
    >
    > Thanks much!
    >

    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:22:34 -0600, "Shenan Stanley"
    > <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> junior wrote:
    >>> After running a command line prompt, the "DOS" window automatically
    >>> closes. How do I keep it open? Win XP Pro.
    >>
    >> How are you starting this "cmd prompt"? Batch? Start -> Run?
    >> Other?
    >>
    >> For example.. From Start -> Run you could type 'cmd /k command'
    >> ( cmd /k ipconfig /all )
    >>
    >> --
    >> <- Shenan ->

    Type in the start box: cmd and press enter. Now in the blackscreen you
    get (known as a dos-box) type the command: ipconfig /all and the screen
    stays open.

    Cheers,

    Robert
    <junior@senior.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > That did the trick.
    > I was just using Start > Run 'ipconfig /all'
    >
    > Thanks much!
    >

    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:22:34 -0600, "Shenan Stanley"
    > <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>junior wrote:
    >>> After running a command line prompt, the "DOS" window automatically
    >>> closes. How do I keep it open? Win XP Pro.
    >>
    >>How are you starting this "cmd prompt"? Batch? Start -> Run? Other?
    >>
    >>For example.. From Start -> Run you could type 'cmd /k command'
    >>( cmd /k ipconfig /all )
    >>
    >>--
    >><- Shenan ->

    maybe I should update more often instead of posting answers already there
    (and twice even...) Sorry for doubleposting people...

    Cheers,

    Robert

    "PaddyBob" <PaddyBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Type in the start box: cmd and press enter. Now in the blackscreen you
    > get (known as a dos-box) type the command: ipconfig /all and the screen
    > stays open.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Robert
    > <junior@senior.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >> That did the trick.
    >> I was just using Start > Run 'ipconfig /all'
    >>
    >> Thanks much!
    >>

    >> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:22:34 -0600, "Shenan Stanley"
    >> <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote:

    >>>How are you starting this "cmd prompt"? Batch? Start -> Run? Other?
    >>>
    >>>For example.. From Start -> Run you could type 'cmd /k command'
    >>>( cmd /k ipconfig /all )
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>><- Shenan ->

    Thanks, Frank
    That's handy too.

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 05:56:47 -0600, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP"
    <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Go to Start | Run and type
    >cmd
    >and click OK. In the Command Window type
    >ipconfig /all

Command Line Microsoft Windows XP