Windows XP home edition 32bit to Win 7 Pro 64bit Upgrade

dougie_77

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Windows 7 64bit has dificulty starting up tried repair mode but it reports that it cant fix the problem automatically, Do I need to update the bios for my asus m2a-vm hdmi motherboard to run this operating system correctly, this was a clean install on a new sata drive.My IDE drive has the old operting system on it? which is windows xp home edition 32bit which has all the latest service packs and updates intalled? I personally think it is a bios problem? windows xp works perfectly, windows 7 wont start but xp does no problem ? Please can someone point me in the right direction Thanks again.

algreary

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Hmm, it's been awhile but there is a combination of keys to push as you start up windows, the keys vary depending on your motherboard. They can be found in either your motherboard paperwork or OEM paperwork if you brought your system whole i.e. through dell or harvey norman etc. Otherwise it should tell you as your loading up windows, watch carefully for what keys to push to enter bios. If you see the instructions but miss pushing the keys, no problem, just remember it and restart your computer again and then press the keys at the appropriate time. If in any doubt just keep pressing the keys throughout the entire load up process.

Once in bios go to the boot up sequence choice - it will say something similar and can't be missed if you search all the options, and choose the sata drive as option 1.

Alternatively you could just disconnect your ide hardrive until you are sure that this is the problem. If you disconnect and it still doesn't work, then no point entering bios at the present. Of course if you do have to change your boot order you will have to remember you have done it because you may need to boot from CD at a later stage. (Most people leave CD as boot option 1, followed by main drive.)

When you exit bios you will have to save.