Sign in with
Your question

Help. Is this enought to cool my QX6700 Quad?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2007 11:33:30 PM

Hi

I'm in the process of building my new system and I'm a little worried that the cooling system I've used isn't good enough.

The CPU is an Intel QX6700 Quad Core linked up to a EVGA nForce 680i mainboard. The PC also has Dual Nvidia 8800 GTX's running in SLi (both are using standard fan/heatsink cooling), a SB X-Fi Extreme Music card and 2GB Corsair XMS2 Dominator PC6400 RAM.
This is all held together in a Thermaltake Armour LCS Super Tower with built in water cooling. Powered by an Enermax Galaxy 1000w PSU.
Drives are 5x 250GB Seagate SATA2, a SONY DVD writer and a SONY DVD player

Is the standard CPU water block that comes with this case enough to keep the temp down? The case also has a 120mm Racing Level Radiator with dual 2400x120x25mm fans & the pump can move 500l per hour. The coolant is Thermaltakes own brand.

I've also used Artic Silver 5 Thermal compound between CPU and water block.

I'm not planning on overclocking the sytem when complete so this isn't an issue with me.

Will this set up run at a cool enough temp? It's cost me a bit and I'd hate to cook it!

Thanks
Dave
January 5, 2007 12:50:28 AM

It will do.
January 5, 2007 6:25:16 AM

qx6700 runs hot and u should over clock it to 3.2 ghz's since the factory under clocks it on purpose. you can do it 2 ways - complete with a koolance or hybird system

since you build a killer rig water cool it with nice 700 watt koolance system. like this one i build below:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&ss...

Hybrid system - you could water cool the gpu's and put a nice thermalright cooler or Vanessa on the cpu and put a rear radiator for the gpu's.

with 12cm rear and 12 cm front and door fan, a slot cooler and psu fan your cpu will stay cool.

then water cool the video cards - they run better and faster

warpedsystems "the need4speed"
Related resources
January 5, 2007 6:29:36 AM

first run the system check for leaks - you should be able too - get all the air out.

second turn it on and go right to bios and hardware and check your temps - let i ideal in bios for 1 hour while you watch it. if you see 40-50c you good to go. water starts out higher but as you max the system it does not rise like air cooling spread is much smaller.

then boot and run 4 stablity tests - google stablity test and down load it.

watch your temps!
January 5, 2007 11:29:59 AM

Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know what the core temp is when I get the PC running.
January 5, 2007 12:04:35 PM

Dave,

Your rig is awesome. I wish I had the money to put it all together. Running a QX6700 on stock air is more than fine. On water is even better. You'll be able to do some OCing if you choose!
January 5, 2007 12:37:41 PM

Even the lowest end water coolers should be able to cool it sufficiently without any overclocking. As long as you have the system installed properly and the block seated well etc. you should have nothing to worry about.

If at some point you intend to overclock then I'd watch temps closely as a general rule anyway.
!