Running a .bat file in a minimized cmd window

i have a set of bat files which are executed from some (Java) application. in
order to get them to work, i need "cmd.exe /c ..." to start them.

i would now like to have the command window minimized to avoid too much
confusion for the users. is this possible and how?

tia,

thomas
9 answers Last reply
More about running file minimized window

    "KrazyKat" <KrazyKat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have a set of bat files which are executed from some (Java)
    >application. in
    > order to get them to work, i need "cmd.exe /c ..." to start them.
    >
    > i would now like to have the command window minimized to avoid too
    > much
    > confusion for the users. is this possible and how?
    >
    > tia,
    >
    > thomas

    from a CMD prompt type
    start /?
    to view the "start" commands options, it may be of use to you?

    HTH?

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Steve,

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > from a CMD prompt type
    > start /?
    > to view the "start" commands options, it may be of use to you?
    did that, but couldn't find anything useful. or did i overlook something?

    thomas

    > Steve,
    >
    > "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> from a CMD prompt type
    >> start /?
    >> to view the "start" commands options, it may be of use to you?
    > did that, but couldn't find anything useful. or did i overlook
    > something?
    >
    > thomas

    "B Start application without creating a new window. The
    application has ^C handling ignored. Unless the application
    enables ^C processing, ^Break is the only way to interrupt
    the application"

    I thought the B switch may be of use?

    --

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > "B Start application without creating a new window. The
    > application has ^C handling ignored. Unless the application
    > enables ^C processing, ^Break is the only way to interrupt
    > the application"
    >

    > I thought the B switch may be of use?
    sounds like it, but i can't get it to work. what would be the correct
    syntax? following is the line which i execute and which seems to be the only
    working version so far. i couldn't find a place to put the "B" and have it
    still working:

    "cmd.exe /c start "Service Window {0}" cmd /c "C:\\CONTINUITY\\serv
    window.bat {0} {1} || pause"

    thomas

    "KrazyKat" wrote:

    > "cmd.exe /c start "Service Window {0}" cmd /c "C:\\CONTINUITY\\serv
    > window.bat {0} {1} || pause"

    using the /MIN switch does just what i want: "cmd.exe /c start "Service
    Window {0}" /MIN cmd /c "C:\\CONTINUITY\\servwindow.bat {0} {1} || pause"

    thanx, Steve, for putting me on the right track (i kept looking for switches
    in cmd.exe)

    thomas

    > Steve,
    >
    > "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> "B Start application without creating a new window. The
    >> application has ^C handling ignored. Unless the
    >> application
    >> enables ^C processing, ^Break is the only way to
    >> interrupt
    >> the application"
    >>

    >> I thought the B switch may be of use?
    > sounds like it, but i can't get it to work. what would be the correct
    > syntax? following is the line which i execute and which seems to be
    > the only
    > working version so far. i couldn't find a place to put the "B" and
    > have it
    > still working:
    >
    > "cmd.exe /c start "Service Window {0}" cmd /c "C:\\CONTINUITY\\serv
    > window.bat {0} {1} || pause"

    do you even need the "cmd.exe" part?

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > do you even need the "cmd.exe" part?
    yes, apart from the fact that it gives me a chance to see stdout/stderr of
    my application
    i need a "real" executable as it is launched from a Java application.

    thomas
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > "KrazyKat" wrote:
    >
    >> "cmd.exe /c start "Service Window {0}" cmd /c "C:\\CONTINUITY\\serv
    >> window.bat {0} {1} || pause"
    >
    > using the /MIN switch does just what i want: "cmd.exe /c start
    > "Service
    > Window {0}" /MIN cmd /c "C:\\CONTINUITY\\servwindow.bat {0} {1} ||
    > pause"
    >
    > thanx, Steve, for putting me on the right track (i kept looking for
    > switches
    > in cmd.exe)

    Glad to have almost helped ;) thanks for the feedback

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I see that you've already resolved your problem but this may be of interest
    to you:
    http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/quiet.htm
    It will launch a program/batch file but completely hide it from the user (ie
    it will not even appear in the taskbar).

    "KrazyKat" <KrazyKat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i have a set of bat files which are executed from some (Java) application.
    in
    > order to get them to work, i need "cmd.exe /c ..." to start them.
    >
    > i would now like to have the command window minimized to avoid too much
    > confusion for the users. is this possible and how?
    >
    > tia,
    >
    > thomas

Java Command Prompt Microsoft Windows