Configuring WIN2K as kiosk

I'm configuring a Win2K Pro box as a public kiosk handling financial
transactions. It's in workgroup mode.

By default, I'd like the box to auto-logon as a particular user and launch
IE in kiosk mode (got that figured out), but still give me the option
interrupting the auto-logon and logging on as the administrator. I'd also
like to hide the start list and and task bar by default but invoke with
hotkeys. I also want to lock out public users from everything but IE.

Finally, is there a way to clear the cache and temp files following a
completed transaction at a particular web page. I'm concerned with liability
with regard to temp files created by the financial transactions of these
public users.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
4 answers Last reply
More about configuring win2k kiosk

    watsamatta u fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

    Did you take a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=154780

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Steve 'I've never sang with Journey' Parry

    Thanks, Steve. Figured out the auto-logon and kiosk mode. I've put the
    public user account in the guest group. Is there any way to make the start
    list REALLY hide, i.e., only retrievable with hot-keys. And finally, is
    there any way that if someone EXITS the IE kiosk, that it initiates a log off
    user? I'd really like to keep them off the desktop.

    Thanks

    Jim

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > watsamatta u fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    >
    > > I'm configuring a Win2K Pro box as a public kiosk handling financial
    > > transactions. It's in workgroup mode.
    > >
    > > By default, I'd like the box to auto-logon as a particular user and
    > > launch IE in kiosk mode (got that figured out), but still give me the
    > > option interrupting the auto-logon and logging on as the
    > > administrator. I'd also like to hide the start list and and task bar
    > > by default but invoke with hotkeys. I also want to lock out public
    > > users from everything but IE.
    > >
    > > Finally, is there a way to clear the cache and temp files following a
    > > completed transaction at a particular web page. I'm concerned with
    > > liability with regard to temp files created by the financial
    > > transactions of these public users.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > Jim
    >
    > Did you take a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=154780
    >

    > --
    > Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    watsamatta u fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

    > Steve 'I've never sang with Journey' Parry
    >
    > Thanks, Steve. Figured out the auto-logon and kiosk mode. I've put
    > the public user account in the guest group. Is there any way to make
    > the start list REALLY hide, i.e., only retrievable with hot-keys.
    > And finally, is there any way that if someone EXITS the IE kiosk,
    > that it initiates a log off user? I'd really like to keep them off
    > the desktop.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jim

    :o)

    Take a look in the group policy editor

    Start
    Run
    type
    gpedit.msc
    click OK

    You can pretty much lock it down to unusable levels .... although that
    may be a bit extreme ;) ... in there.

    You'll find just about all the options you're seeking.

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Thanks for the tip on policiies!

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > watsamatta u fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    >
    > > Steve 'I've never sang with Journey' Parry
    > >
    > > Thanks, Steve. Figured out the auto-logon and kiosk mode. I've put
    > > the public user account in the guest group. Is there any way to make
    > > the start list REALLY hide, i.e., only retrievable with hot-keys.
    > > And finally, is there any way that if someone EXITS the IE kiosk,
    > > that it initiates a log off user? I'd really like to keep them off
    > > the desktop.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Jim
    >
    > :o)
    >
    > Take a look in the group policy editor
    >
    > Start
    > Run
    > type
    > gpedit.msc
    > click OK
    >
    > You can pretty much lock it down to unusable levels .... although that
    > may be a bit extreme ;) ... in there.
    >
    > You'll find just about all the options you're seeking.
    >

    > --
    > Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Default Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows