AARRGGHH..... HDTV Decision and hookup??!!??

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 7, 2004 7:46:25 PM

Ok gang, I need some help here. My old Sony TV is biting the dust... and I
was thinking in terms of replacing it and investing in a HDTV set. My only
real HDTV source would be the new HDTV Cable box that I'd have to swap up to.

But what about the hookups????

I watch the cable, I watch Tivo, I occasionally watch DVD, I rarely watch
VCR... and then only those things I've dumped from the Tivo over to tape. My
AV Reciever can switch Composite and S-Video, and all my current devices
support S-Video.

But I just read that the HD signal requires Component, or preferably DVI to
get anything above 480i resolution.

Since I can't switch it with my AV Receiver, I suppose I'd have to switch
inputs on the TV itself to get HD. No big deal for me, but for Wife...
well.... hmmm... not gonna happen.

So am I mistaken about getting 1080i over the S-Video? Is switching inputs
going to be an issue?? Should I just drop back and get an analog set to save
some cash until I upgrade to a AV system that'll switch DVI or Component?

Thanks for the feedback.
D.
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 8:26:04 PM

david.nospam@cloudance.NoSpAm.com (David M. Young) said:

> But I just read that the HD signal requires Component, or preferably
> DVI to get anything above 480i resolution.

Component or DVI are required for HD, 1080i or 720. If you use S-video you
will be limited to 480.

> Since I can't switch it with my AV Receiver, I suppose I'd have to
> switch inputs on the TV itself to get HD. No big deal for me, but for
> Wife... well.... hmmm... not gonna happen.

It's not ideal, but what you could do is run video to the tv and audio to
the receiver -OR- if you buy a tv with dolby out, just run everything to
the tv and then audio out to the receiver.
--
McQualude
Anonymous

McQualude wrote:
> david.nospam@cloudance.NoSpAm.com (David M. Young) said:
>

>>But I just read that the HD signal requires Component, or preferably
>>DVI to get anything above 480i resolution.
>

> Component or DVI are required for HD, 1080i or 720. If you use S-video you
> will be limited to 480.
>

>>Since I can't switch it with my AV Receiver, I suppose I'd have to
>>switch inputs on the TV itself to get HD. No big deal for me, but for
>>Wife... well.... hmmm... not gonna happen.
>

> It's not ideal, but what you could do is run video to the tv and audio to
> the receiver -OR- if you buy a tv with dolby out, just run everything to
> the tv and then audio out to the receiver.

And get yourself a Harmony SST-659 for making control of the components
as easy as possible.

http://www.harmonyremote.com
April 8, 2004 1:18:46 AM

When I was looking around this was one of the areas that a lot of
manufacturers seemed to cover pretty well e.g. 2 component inputs, 4
composite (2 or 3 of which can be S-video rather than composite).

I went with a 34" Panasonic direct view and I have an HD box & DVD
player connected to the component inputs, another DVD player on
S-video & 2 VCR's into separate composite inputs.

My wife and kids have no problem cycling through devices from the
remote.

Hope this was helpful.

Dunvegan

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:46:25 GMT, david.nospam@cloudance.NoSpAm.com
(David M. Young) wrote:

>Ok gang, I need some help here. My old Sony TV is biting the dust... and I
>was thinking in terms of replacing it and investing in a HDTV set. My only
>real HDTV source would be the new HDTV Cable box that I'd have to swap up to.
>
>But what about the hookups????
>
>I watch the cable, I watch Tivo, I occasionally watch DVD, I rarely watch
>VCR... and then only those things I've dumped from the Tivo over to tape. My
>AV Reciever can switch Composite and S-Video, and all my current devices
>support S-Video.
>
>But I just read that the HD signal requires Component, or preferably DVI to
>get anything above 480i resolution.
>
>Since I can't switch it with my AV Receiver, I suppose I'd have to switch
>inputs on the TV itself to get HD. No big deal for me, but for Wife...
>well.... hmmm... not gonna happen.
>
>So am I mistaken about getting 1080i over the S-Video? Is switching inputs
>going to be an issue?? Should I just drop back and get an analog set to save
>some cash until I upgrade to a AV system that'll switch DVI or Component?
>
>Thanks for the feedback.
>D.
April 8, 2004 3:11:20 AM

"David M. Young" <david.nospam@cloudance.NoSpAm.com> wrote in message
> Ok gang, I need some help here. My old Sony TV is biting the dust... and
> was thinking in terms of replacing it and investing in a HDTV set. My
only
> real HDTV source would be the new HDTV Cable box that I'd have to swap up
to.

> But what about the hookups????
>
> I watch the cable, I watch Tivo, I occasionally watch DVD, I rarely watch
> VCR... and then only those things I've dumped from the Tivo over to tape.
My
> AV Reciever can switch Composite and S-Video, and all my current devices
> support S-Video.
>
> But I just read that the HD signal requires Component, or preferably DVI
> get anything above 480i resolution.
>
> Since I can't switch it with my AV Receiver, I suppose I'd have to switch
> inputs on the TV itself to get HD. No big deal for me, but for Wife...
> well.... hmmm... not gonna happen.
>
> So am I mistaken about getting 1080i over the S-Video? Is switching
inputs
> going to be an issue?? Should I just drop back and get an analog set to
save
> some cash until I upgrade to a AV system that'll switch DVI or Component?
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
> D.

FWIW, you can get a free HD reciever, with 2 aux
inputs (DVD, VCR) from Dish Network, with 1 year
commitment. And if you hook an antenna up to it, you'll get all your local
analog and HD OTA broadcasts also.
For $999, you can get a 34" direct view HD set, and the above mentioned HD
reciever. The TV is made by RCA. A 40" HD RPTV is also available.
Works for me, much, MUCH better than cable. (Comcast/ATT)

Deke
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 4:29:43 AM

I was worried about this too....needlessly. I got my Hitachi 46" RPTV. It
has 5 inputs; one HD (component or DVI) and the other's RCA jacks &
S-video. So I hooked my cable box to Vid1 (HDTV) via Ypbr components (since
Comcast hasn't enabled DVI here yet), the Tivo to Vid3 via RCA jacks, and so
far nothing to Vids 2, 4, & 5. The set (WS500) has it's own built-in DVD
player so no need for a feed there. It all works great and the picture is
stunning...oh, and it was $1700 at Circuit City here in Boston where most PM
network stuff as well as HBO, Starz, (sometimes NESN baseball/hockey too) &
Showtime is on HD. I'm a happy camper. Now when Comcast rolls out the new
Motorola 6208 box which will let me record HD, I'll be even a happier
camper. BillR.

!