HTT max stability

falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
So, i have a Athlon 3200+ at 2.5ghz with a 250mhz bus and ram hovering at 166 (native 200). the HTT multiplier is at 4 so my htt is exactly at 1kmhz. i want a little more outta my ram since i havent bothered with changing timings since its runnign slower, and i have no desire to. i dont want to drop teh HTT mult to 3, so what is the fastest i can stabaly run HTT at? i was thinking maybe 1024 mhz, but was curious what other people thought.

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
It depends on a lot of things, including the platform, processor model, motherboard, and just plain luck-of-the-draw for component tolerance. From the memory speed you listed I assume you are running S939 system? I am not familiar with overclocking that platform since I have an AM2 system (config in my sig), but I can tell you that I was stable at 1200MHz HTT. When I had it up to 1250MHz the system was unstable and would reboot randomly.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
You didn't tell us what the max frequencies possible are for any other particular part (like CPU, or bus), so it's hard to say what you should do for max benefit.

You are drawing the wrong conclusion thinking it's important not to drop the HTT to 3X, anything else will make as much difference. Even so, yes most often you can run 1024 without any problems, but don't focus on getting HTT higher, focus on the other parameters and just let the HTT end up at whatever it does as a result of maximizing the others.

Particularly, get your ram speed up and find out at which frequency you would need to raise (slow down) timings to go higher, and then how much higher the memory would go at the slower, higher timings.

While doing all this, drop the HTT multi down and leave it down for the time being, so you isolate each subsystem to find it's peak speed capability. Maybe you've already gone through all this, but one part that still sticks out is that you are only running 250 bus and at a hit to the memory (being underclocked).

If I were to guess, I'd guess the thing you need to do is raise the 250, leaving the memory ratio the same. Drop the CPu mulitplier so it's out of the equation for the time being and see how high the bus and memory can go remaining stable, THEN raise CPU multiplier again. Whatever you end up with, THEN decide which HTT multi you can use, not caring if it's maxed near 1000 or not.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
So, i have a Athlon 3200+ at 2.5ghz with a 250mhz bus and ram hovering at 166 (native 200). the HTT multiplier is at 4 so my htt is exactly at 1kmhz. i want a little more outta my ram since i havent bothered with changing timings since its runnign slower, and i have no desire to. i dont want to drop teh HTT mult to 3, so what is the fastest i can stabaly run HTT at? i was thinking maybe 1024 mhz, but was curious what other people thought.
It depends on the motherboard. Most motherboards do not allow over 1100mhz Hypertransport bus, but a few will. Even so, the multiplier drop isn't a big performance loss at all anyway. What motherboard do you have?

falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
well, i changed my mind and OCd it to 2.673ghz and its testing stability atm. my mobo is a Asus A8N5X. at 2.7ghz, i got 1 error after about 3 hours of testing. i dropped the bus to 267mhz in hopes itll pass.