bios password protected

KennM

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
About a year ago i password protected the bios of my ECS 661FX-M to keep my son from messing things up and now i want to upgrade the cpu but i have forgotten the password and can't get into the bios setup. I tried the clear bios jumper but it still wants a password, and i have no clue what to do. Any help would be great. :oops:

weilin

Distinguished
you sure you used that jumper right? some boards require power on while short, others want the board unplugged. Some require the shorting of pins 2 & 3 while others wants just 1 & 2 some dont want any at all. Its as confusing as hell, make sure the procedure for ur board is right.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
No board is supposed to require power on while shorted. It's quite simple: Unplug AC. Move jumper from present position to the other position. Done.

In cases where there's a 2nd nvram store, battery may need pulled but system post or getting into bios doesn't depend on 2nd nvram and 2nd nvram can be reset from bios menu.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Don't know about that particular MB... you might be able to do a bios re-install / upgrade, if it lets you that might clear it.

weilin

Distinguished
u'd be surprised, the dells ive worked with did. You have to put jumper to 2-3 pins then turn the pc on. It will auto go to bios and u ahve to manually select "clear passwords" Then you had to turn the pc off and put the jumper back to normal. It was a PAIN.