Installation runs again when a different user logs on

Hello,

I mad an installation of a self programmed software(vb) with
administrator rights, and it works fine.

When another user logs on the PC, and starts the program, a piece of
installshield runs gain, and then my programs runs well.

I wonder why this "second" installation comes from ? Where can I
check ?

Cheers

On 27 Jan 2005 01:49:33 -0800, pmagnette@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I mad an installation of a self programmed software(vb) with
> administrator rights, and it works fine.
>
> When another user logs on the PC, and starts the program, a piece of
> installshield runs gain, and then my programs runs well.
>
> I wonder why this "second" installation comes from ? Where can I
> check ?
>
> Cheers

The installer is running again to add application related items for each
user: registry entries, perhaps a folder in their Application Data folder,
etc.

When an application is installed with the MS Installer (.MSI), the
programmer can take advantage of some of the functions this mechanism
offers. "Repair" options, for example. If you search for "installer" on
your hard drive, you'll find folders that the MS installer uses to maintain
programs. Most will have long ID numbers as names but a peek inside will
show a handful of files for various applications.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi there,

Just a quick question: is this "piece of installation" as you call it,
always running as soon as you try to use the program in another user than
administrator?

If the answer to that is "no", then you've probably created a program which
is writing it's registry settings to the Current user and not to the All
local users. If this application you're using, is using profiles/localized
settings, then it's kinda logical it does that, as every separate user will
be able to set his/her own settings. In this case the application must
partly re-install itself with every new user logging on, as the per user
settings are stored in the HKEY\Current User, which is a different hive for
every user.

I hope this helped you. Let me know...

Cheers,

Robert