Random Game Crashes

My computer has been doing this for the last 4-5 months, and it's really starting to bug me. I'll go to play a game (Need for Speed: Most Wanted/Carbon, America's Army, Battlefield 2142/2, etc), and it'll run fine.

After playing for usually around 30-60 minutes, the game will just randomly crash to the desktop. It doesn't do it at certain points in any of the games, just random, at a random time.

I at first thought it was my PSU, as my PSU was causing all sorts of problems. I ordered a new, much higher quality PSU, and it fixed all the problems except for this. The PSU is.

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1Gb RAM
6600GT (AGP)
200Gb HD
550w PSU

Need any more information, just ask. Thanks in advanced.
4 answers Last reply
More about random game crashes
  1. Quote:
    My computer has been doing this for the last 4-5 months, and it's really starting to bug me. I'll go to play a game (Need for Speed: Most Wanted/Carbon, America's Army, Battlefield 2142/2, etc), and it'll run fine.

After playing for usually around 30-60 minutes, the game will just randomly crash to the desktop. It doesn't do it at certain points in any of the games, just random, at a random time.

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    1Gb RAM
    6600GT (AGP)
    200Gb HD

Need any more information, just ask. Thanks in advanced.

I am thinking HEAT is causing this.
    Is you fan running ok?
    Sounds like the chips are overheating on the graphics card itself?
  2. My cooling is fine for the overall case itself, I have a 120mm going in, a 120mm going out, an 80mm going in, and an 80mm going out. I think my GPU might be overheating though, as you suggested. I average 75 on load. From what I hear, that's average for a 6600gt, but I'm not sure. If my GPU is overheating, I have the funds to get the Tide Water by Thermaltake to get it liquid cooled.

Any other opinions?
  3. wow wow wow
    there is noo need to water cool a 6600gt :lol:
    just get youself a good aftermarkit air cooler that will do fine but it definatly sounds like overheating check your cpu temps as well

fans do die quite often
  4. CPU stays cool and low around 30c on load and 22c idle.. Gotta nice heatsink and fan on it. :)

If it is an overheating problem, I'll probably just deal with it until this summer when I can afford a new PC.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Games Systems