Video card / Motherboard chipset compatability question

SMLeon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
Hey all,

Is there a known compatability issue with running an NVidia graphics card (a 7950 GT in this case) on a motherboard with an ATI chipset?

My Asus P5RD1-V motherboard has an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Chipset. I've been running a 6800 GT with it for over a year without issues. This week I purchased a 7950 GT as an upgrade. Now my PC locks up (both in games as well as at the Windows desktop), very frequently. BFG tech support is telling me that it's because my motherboard has an ATI chipset, and that ATI chipsets don't "play nice" with Nvidia GPUs. He can't explain why my 6800 GT has been running without a problem for over a year, however, but insists that he's never heard of anyone who was able to run the two brands together.

Anyway, I thought I'd check with the knowledge base here to see if anyone else has come across such a problem. Do I need to buy an ATI video card?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
I'd suspect one of the two more common factors - heat or power. Card is overheating or your PSU isn't cutting it anymore.

You might try different video card drivers- if you're using the newest generation now, drop back a whole series.

In general it is untrue that a referece designed nVidia card (like yours) would not work on an ATI chipset board, but then again I'd never rely on an ATI chipset board because ATI is so bad at doing drivers, so you might try different motherboard chipset driver. I still think it's more likely power or heat.

mpjesse

Splendid
BFG tech support is telling me that it's because my motherboard has an ATI chipset, and that ATI chipsets don't "play nice" with Nvidia GPUs. He can't explain why my 6800 GT has been running without a problem for over a year, however, but insists that he's never heard of anyone who was able to run the two brands together.

That guy is full of shi*t. While it's not unheard of, ATI making (knowingly or unknowingly) their chipsets incompatible w/ nVidia video cards violates antitrust laws in the US. Just ask nVidia... they're being sued by the FTC for doing it w/ SLI.

Try updating your ATI chipset drivers. And what size PSU do you have?