Video card / motherboard chipset compatability question

SMLeon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
Hey all,

Is there a known compatability issue with running an NVidia graphics card (a 7950 GT in this case) on a motherboard with an ATI chipset?

My Asus P5RD1-V motherboard has an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Chipset. I've been running a 6800 GT with it for over a year without issues. This week I purchased a 7950 GT as an upgrade. Now my PC locks up (both in games as well as at the Windows desktop), very frequently. BFG tech support is telling me that it's because my motherboard has an ATI chipset, and that ATI chipsets don't "play nice" with Nvidia GPUs. He can't explain why my 6800 GT has been running without a problem for over a year, however, but insists that he's never heard of anyone who was able to run the two brands together.

Anyway, I thought I'd check with the knowledge base here to see if anyone else has come across such a problem. Do I need to buy an ATI video card?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I,ve been building and repairing systems both for my self and as a Computer Tech for nearly 10 years and have never had that issue as a rule. Some time though some brands clash, not usually a rival chipset issue, but usually a Chip set problem.
Try updating the BIOS and check your PSU is suppling enough power. :) :)

G

I have the same chipset and ive just bought an NVIDIA 9500gt 1gb ddr2, and i was just gona uninstall and disable the drivers of the chipset in the hardware manager. I thought that would solve any clashes betweeen chipset and pci-e graphics cards.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I have the same chipset and ive just bought an NVIDIA 9500gt 1gb ddr2, and i was just gona uninstall and disable the drivers of the chipset in the hardware manager. I thought that would solve any clashes betweeen chipset and pci-e graphics cards.
No, don't run your motherboard without chipset drivers. Do remember to uninstall your VIDEO drivers before you install the new NVidia card and its new drivers.