Physical damage to flash drive

The "prong" on my flash drive has been loosened and it no longer can be
"picked up" by the computer. Any recommendations as how to recover the
data, or reputable (reasonably priced) companies (i'm a grad student,
so I am a little limited on funds). Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about physical damage flash drive

    JK wrote:

    > The "prong" on my flash drive has been loosened and it no longer can be
    > "picked up" by the computer. Any recommendations as how to recover the
    > data, or reputable (reasonably priced) companies (i'm a grad student,
    > so I am a little limited on funds). Thanks.

    Try using a USB extender cable with new ends. Maybe the connectors will
    be springy enough to let the flash drive work. If not, experiment with
    adding copper wires on top of the conductors in the connector.
    Ultimately, you could take apart the flash drive and cut off on
    connector on your extension. Carefully solder the wires into the drive.
    Wear a ground strap if you can get one, or atleast wrap a ground wire
    around your wrist.
    Good Luck.

    Thank you. The quote was $100 for analysis and $400 to $1000 for the
    actual work. That is a lot more than I anticipated. I think I'll keep
    searching.

    Since I'm a grad student, I'm trying to get a hold of the graduate
    students from the computer science and engineering department, for a
    more reasonable fee.

    I'll try the USB extender cable with new ends but I'm a little
    intimidated about the soldering, so if the extender doesn't
    work....I'll have to employ some help. Thank you very, very much!

    "JK" <jkcrash@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > The "prong" on my flash drive has been loosened and it no longer can
    > be
    > "picked up" by the computer. Any recommendations as how to recover the
    > data, or reputable (reasonably priced) companies (i'm a grad student,
    > so I am a little limited on funds). Thanks.

    http://www.ontrack.com/

    They do a free quote if that helps?

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    > Thank you. The quote was $100 for analysis and $400 to $1000 for the
    > actual work. That is a lot more than I anticipated. I think I'll
    > keep
    > searching.

    <thump> .... sound of jaw hitting floor !

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    JK wrote:
    > I'll try the USB extender cable with new ends but I'm a little
    > intimidated about the soldering, so if the extender doesn't
    > work....I'll have to employ some help. Thank you very, very much!

    Maybe that silver-loaded paint they sell for repairing broken wires in car
    rear-windscreen demisters would build up enough?

    Or do you mean the USB plug is coming away from the rest of it?

    Andrew

Flash Drive Microsoft Windows Product