upgrade mulitple windows 98 pc's to windows 2000

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 19, 2005 8:28:02 AM

The company I work for lease 30 pentium 800 mhz 111 workstations with 64 mb
of ram & 20 gig hard drives. They are using windows 98 connected to a windows
NT4 server and want to upgrade to windows 2000. Is this possible & what
procedures need to be followed to do this?
kayenie
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:03:48 PM

The easiest way to automate upgrades is by using installation scripts, as
shown here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/...

However, I feel I should point out two potential pitfalls with the upgrade
plan:

[1] 64MB of RAM is going to make for a fairly slow Windows 2000 PC - your
users will be much happier with a bump to 256 or more.

[2] Windows 2000 is nearing the end of its supported lifecycle, and is in
fact in an "Extended Support" phase where only security hotfixes and paid
support options are available. You might want to consider a longer-term
upgrade plan to Windows XP Professional.

--
Laura E. Hunter
Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
(http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)

All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
Replies to newsgroup only.

"kaye" <kaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The company I work for lease 30 pentium 800 mhz 111 workstations with 64
> mb
> of ram & 20 gig hard drives. They are using windows 98 connected to a
> windows
> NT4 server and want to upgrade to windows 2000. Is this possible & what
> procedures need to be followed to do this?
> kayenie
July 20, 2005 12:32:13 AM

Thank you for your suggestions
--
kayenie

"Laura E. Hunter (MVP)" wrote:

> The easiest way to automate upgrades is by using installation scripts, as
> shown here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/...
>
> However, I feel I should point out two potential pitfalls with the upgrade
> plan:
>
> [1] 64MB of RAM is going to make for a fairly slow Windows 2000 PC - your
> users will be much happier with a bump to 256 or more.
>
> [2] Windows 2000 is nearing the end of its supported lifecycle, and is in
> fact in an "Extended Support" phase where only security hotfixes and paid
> support options are available. You might want to consider a longer-term
> upgrade plan to Windows XP Professional.
>
> --
> Laura E. Hunter
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
> Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
> (http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)
>
> All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
> Replies to newsgroup only.
>

> "kaye" <kaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The company I work for lease 30 pentium 800 mhz 111 workstations with 64
> > mb
> > of ram & 20 gig hard drives. They are using windows 98 connected to a
> > windows
> > NT4 server and want to upgrade to windows 2000. Is this possible & what
> > procedures need to be followed to do this?
> > kayenie

Related resources
July 21, 2005 12:20:02 AM

If I used the automate upgrades, can I just use the one copy of windows 2000
upgrade or will I need to get licenses to legally copy the upgrade onto all
of the computers. It seems a good way to go if I only need to purchase the
one copy.
kayenie

"Laura E. Hunter (MVP)" wrote:

> The easiest way to automate upgrades is by using installation scripts, as
> shown here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/...
>
> However, I feel I should point out two potential pitfalls with the upgrade
> plan:
>
> [1] 64MB of RAM is going to make for a fairly slow Windows 2000 PC - your
> users will be much happier with a bump to 256 or more.
>
> [2] Windows 2000 is nearing the end of its supported lifecycle, and is in
> fact in an "Extended Support" phase where only security hotfixes and paid
> support options are available. You might want to consider a longer-term
> upgrade plan to Windows XP Professional.
>
> --
> Laura E. Hunter
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
> Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
> (http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)
>
> All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
> Replies to newsgroup only.
>

> "kaye" <kaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The company I work for lease 30 pentium 800 mhz 111 workstations with 64
> > mb
> > of ram & 20 gig hard drives. They are using windows 98 connected to a
> > windows
> > NT4 server and want to upgrade to windows 2000. Is this possible & what
> > procedures need to be followed to do this?
> > kayenie

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:00:53 PM

You will need to purchase a license for every copy of Windows 2000 Pro that
you install - you should contact your reseller for the most economical way
to do this.

--
Laura E. Hunter
Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
(http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)

> If I used the automate upgrades, can I just use the one copy of windows
> 2000
> upgrade or will I need to get licenses to legally copy the upgrade onto
> all
> of the computers. It seems a good way to go if I only need to purchase the
> one copy.
> kayenie
>

> "Laura E. Hunter (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> The easiest way to automate upgrades is by using installation scripts, as
>> shown here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/...
>>
>> However, I feel I should point out two potential pitfalls with the
>> upgrade
>> plan:
>>
>> [1] 64MB of RAM is going to make for a fairly slow Windows 2000 PC -
>> your
>> users will be much happier with a bump to 256 or more.
>>
>> [2] Windows 2000 is nearing the end of its supported lifecycle, and is
>> in
>> fact in an "Extended Support" phase where only security hotfixes and paid
>> support options are available. You might want to consider a longer-term
>> upgrade plan to Windows XP Professional.
>>
>> --
>> Laura E. Hunter
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
>> Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
>> (http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)
>>
>> All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
>> Replies to newsgroup only.
>>

>> "kaye" <kaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The company I work for lease 30 pentium 800 mhz 111 workstations with
>> > 64
>> > mb
>> > of ram & 20 gig hard drives. They are using windows 98 connected to a
>> > windows
>> > NT4 server and want to upgrade to windows 2000. Is this possible & what
>> > procedures need to be followed to do this?
>> > kayenie

July 26, 2005 10:31:04 AM

Ok Thank you
--
kayenie

"Laura E. Hunter (MVP)" wrote:

> You will need to purchase a license for every copy of Windows 2000 Pro that
> you install - you should contact your reseller for the most economical way
> to do this.
>
> --
> Laura E. Hunter
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
> Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
> (http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)
>
> All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
> Replies to newsgroup only.
>

> "kaye" <kaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I used the automate upgrades, can I just use the one copy of windows
> > 2000
> > upgrade or will I need to get licenses to legally copy the upgrade onto
> > all
> > of the computers. It seems a good way to go if I only need to purchase the
> > one copy.
> > kayenie
> >

> > "Laura E. Hunter (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> The easiest way to automate upgrades is by using installation scripts, as
> >> shown here:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/...
> >>
> >> However, I feel I should point out two potential pitfalls with the
> >> upgrade
> >> plan:
> >>
> >> [1] 64MB of RAM is going to make for a fairly slow Windows 2000 PC -
> >> your
> >> users will be much happier with a bump to 256 or more.
> >>
> >> [2] Windows 2000 is nearing the end of its supported lifecycle, and is
> >> in
> >> fact in an "Extended Support" phase where only security hotfixes and paid
> >> support options are available. You might want to consider a longer-term
> >> upgrade plan to Windows XP Professional.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Laura E. Hunter
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
> >> Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
> >> (http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)
> >>
> >> All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
> >> Replies to newsgroup only.
> >>

> >> "kaye" <kaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 7:20:15 PM

Check your lease agreement, If it states that at the end of the lease
you have to return the PC's in the same condition and with the
original OS you could be making a lot of work for the future.

Another thing to think of is the fact that you'll have your copies of
the OS installed on a third parties machine, which might cause
problems when the lease comes to an end and you want to return the
machines.

Get something in writing from the lease company, you could even try
getting them to pay towards the upgrade, after all, you're updating
their machines and increasing the resale value of them.
July 26, 2005 11:02:03 PM

Thank you for your ideas I will check what you have mentioned and contact the
leasee for their views on the upgrade.
--
kayenie

!