Is xp firewall adequate?

I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
suggestions?

Thanks

John
13 answers Last reply
More about firewall adequate

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:14:15 -0800, John wrote:

    > I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
    > Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
    > suggestions?

    Both are excellent firewalls that block unwanted attempts to access your
    computer. ZoneAlarm has some features that the XP firewall does not have
    so you may want to go for that due to the additional features.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Hi John

    The XP Firewall doesn't monitor outgoing access to the Internet. For that
    you will need a 3rd party program. As you have already suggested,
    installing ZA, will cover the monitoring of outgoing access to the Internet.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
    >I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
    >Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
    >suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    If you install Zone Alarm, turn off the Windows Firewall.

    In news:uURL4JIBFHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    John <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> typed:

    >I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should
    >install Zone
    > Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall.
    > Any
    > suggestions?

    The XP firewall monitors incoming traffic, but does nothing to
    stop spyware programs trying to call home. Almost any third-party
    firewall (such as ZoneAlarm) does both, and is therefore a better
    choice in my view.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Will, Tom, Chuck and Blake, thank you all for the information and advice.
    Zone Alarm it will be.

    John

    "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
    >I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
    >Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
    >suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    I have the Zone Alarm Pro versions 2 and 4. Tried both and my computer went
    into a cycle of reboots, until I was able to get into safe mode and restore
    to a pre-Zone Alarm installation. I finally found a current version of the
    free standard ZA and it seems to work ok (just doesn't have the bells and
    whistles of the Pro version). I was just surprised at the outcome of the
    earlier versions. I suspect it has something to do with service pack 2, as I
    tried both ZAPros v. 2 and 4 on a computer with XP service pack 1 and it
    went smooth with those.

    John

    > Will, Tom, Chuck and Blake, thank you all for the information and advice.
    > Zone Alarm it will be.
    >
    > John
    >

    > "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
    >>I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
    >>Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
    >>suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John

    Why don't you try the free version of Zone Alarm for a couple of weeks and
    see if you like it? "Adequate" really depends on what you do with your
    computer so there is not a pat answer to your question. You will get many
    confilicting opinions so in the end you just have to try the XP firewall and
    then a third party firewall and just see what you feel safest with.

    "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
    >I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
    >Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
    >suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Well, all advice you,ve been given is pretty spot-on, all you have to do now
    is set your clock to the correct zone time. :-)

    --

    johnf

    >I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
    > Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Windows XP with SP2 is more than adequate for a firewall. Anything additional
    just clutters up your computer and invaribly causes problems. Use common sense
    and SP2.

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > Windows XP with SP2 is more than adequate for a firewall. Anything
    > additional just clutters up your computer and invaribly causes
    > problems. Use common sense and SP2.

    I agree. If you don't install the garbage you don't need to block it.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    In news:vDtKd.3293$wA5.1878@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
    Unknown <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> typed:

    > Windows XP with SP2 is more than adequate for a firewall.
    > Anything
    > additional just clutters up your computer ...

    Sorry, but that's nonsense. The Windows firewall works and is far
    better than nothing, but it's also probably the worst of all the
    choices. Unlike almost all third-party firewalls it doesn't
    monitor outgoing traffic and is therefore inferior to them.

    > ... and invaribly causes
    > problems. Use common sense and SP2.

    I personally use the free version of ZoneAlrm and it has caused
    me no problems. I know a great many other people who also use ZA
    or one of the other third-party firewalls. None of them have
    caused any problems for them either.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
    >>I have the Zone Alarm Pro versions 2 and 4. Tried both and my
    >>computer went into a cycle of reboots, until I was able to get
    >>into
    >>safe mode and restore to a pre-Zone Alarm installation. I
    >>finally
    >>found a current version of the free standard ZA and it seems to
    >>work
    >>ok (just doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Pro
    >>version). I
    >>was just surprised at the outcome of the earlier versions. I
    >>suspect
    >>it has something to do with service pack 2, as I tried both
    >>ZAPros v.
    >>2 and 4 on a computer with XP service pack 1 and it went smooth
    >>with
    >>those.
    >> John
    >>

    >> "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
    >>> Will, Tom, Chuck and Blake, thank you all for the information
    >>> and
    >>> advice. Zone Alarm it will be.
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >>> "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message

    Hi

    The SP2 Firewall doesn't monitor outgoing access to the Internet. I don't
    want X program reporting back 'home' with all my personal details, such as
    CC number and expiry date.

    --

    Unknown wrote:
    > Windows XP with SP2 is more than adequate for a firewall. Anything
    > additional just clutters up your computer and invaribly causes problems.
    > Use common sense and SP2.

    Please stop posting deliberately harmful advice.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm