john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
suggestions?

Thanks

John

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:14:15 -0800, John wrote:

> I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
> Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
> suggestions?

Both are excellent firewalls that block unwanted attempts to access your
computer. ZoneAlarm has some features that the XP firewall does not have
so you may want to go for that due to the additional features.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Hi John

The XP Firewall doesn't monitor outgoing access to the Internet. For that
you will need a 3rd party program. As you have already suggested,
installing ZA, will cover the monitoring of outgoing access to the Internet.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
>Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
>suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

If you install Zone Alarm, turn off the Windows Firewall.

In news:uURL4JIBFHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
John <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> typed:

>I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should
>install Zone
> Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall.
> Any
> suggestions?

The XP firewall monitors incoming traffic, but does nothing to
stop spyware programs trying to call home. Almost any third-party
firewall (such as ZoneAlarm) does both, and is therefore a better
choice in my view.

Please reply to the newsgroup

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Will, Tom, Chuck and Blake, thank you all for the information and advice.
Zone Alarm it will be.

John

"John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
>Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
>suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have the Zone Alarm Pro versions 2 and 4. Tried both and my computer went
into a cycle of reboots, until I was able to get into safe mode and restore
to a pre-Zone Alarm installation. I finally found a current version of the
free standard ZA and it seems to work ok (just doesn't have the bells and
whistles of the Pro version). I was just surprised at the outcome of the
earlier versions. I suspect it has something to do with service pack 2, as I
tried both ZAPros v. 2 and 4 on a computer with XP service pack 1 and it
went smooth with those.

John

> Will, Tom, Chuck and Blake, thank you all for the information and advice.
> Zone Alarm it will be.
>
> John
>

> "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
>>I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
>>Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
>>suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John

Why don't you try the free version of Zone Alarm for a couple of weeks and
see if you like it? "Adequate" really depends on what you do with your
computer so there is not a pat answer to your question. You will get many
confilicting opinions so in the end you just have to try the XP firewall and
then a third party firewall and just see what you feel safest with.

"John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
>Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
>suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

johnf

Well, all advice you,ve been given is pretty spot-on, all you have to do now
is set your clock to the correct zone time. :)

--

johnf

>I just got a new computer and trying to decide if I should install Zone
> Alarm (which I have) or just go with the build in XP firewall. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Windows XP with SP2 is more than adequate for a firewall. Anything additional
just clutters up your computer and invaribly causes problems. Use common sense
and SP2.

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> Windows XP with SP2 is more than adequate for a firewall. Anything
> additional just clutters up your computer and invaribly causes
> problems. Use common sense and SP2.

I agree. If you don't install the garbage you don't need to block it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

In news:vDtKd.3293$wA5.1878@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
Unknown <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> typed:

> Windows XP with SP2 is more than adequate for a firewall.
> Anything
> additional just clutters up your computer ...

Sorry, but that's nonsense. The Windows firewall works and is far
better than nothing, but it's also probably the worst of all the
choices. Unlike almost all third-party firewalls it doesn't
monitor outgoing traffic and is therefore inferior to them.

> ... and invaribly causes
> problems. Use common sense and SP2.

I personally use the free version of ZoneAlrm and it has caused
me no problems. I know a great many other people who also use ZA
or one of the other third-party firewalls. None of them have
caused any problems for them either.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
>>I have the Zone Alarm Pro versions 2 and 4. Tried both and my
>>computer went into a cycle of reboots, until I was able to get
>>into
>>safe mode and restore to a pre-Zone Alarm installation. I
>>finally
>>found a current version of the free standard ZA and it seems to
>>work
>>ok (just doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Pro
>>version). I
>>was just surprised at the outcome of the earlier versions. I
>>suspect
>>it has something to do with service pack 2, as I tried both
>>ZAPros v.
>>2 and 4 on a computer with XP service pack 1 and it went smooth
>>with
>>those.
>> John
>>

>> "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
>>> Will, Tom, Chuck and Blake, thank you all for the information
>>> and
>>> advice. Zone Alarm it will be.
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>>> "John" <John1188u8@Elkestr.com> wrote in message

Hi

The SP2 Firewall doesn't monitor outgoing access to the Internet. I don't
want X program reporting back 'home' with all my personal details, such as
CC number and expiry date.

--

Unknown wrote:
> Windows XP with SP2 is more than adequate for a firewall. Anything
> additional just clutters up your computer and invaribly causes problems.
> Use common sense and SP2.

Please stop posting deliberately harmful advice.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm