Mysterious mouse/keyboard lockup

Recently, my mouse has been ceasing to respond some 10-30 minutes after I
start &n logon to my system. At the same time, the keyboard also stops
responding (can't use Ctrl-Alt-Del) so I have to use the pc's power reset
button to stop & restart the system. The time until the lockup occurs seems
to depend on how much I use my mouse - almost as if there's a quota of X
mouse moves/clicks allowed to me.
Mouse is a Logitech Trackman Marble running the latest version of Logitech's
Mouseware & is connected to the PS-2 port. I tried moving the mouse to a USB
port but it wasn't detected.
I had some indication that the problem might be related to my SCSI systems
(event log messages relating to a HP CD-R/W not responding)
My system is based on an IWill dual processor MB with onboard aic7892 SCSI.
In addition, I have a LSI Ultra320 PCI SCSI board installed. I will post
this now & add further info in a subsequent post (my first 4 tries to post
were defeated by lockups.)

As promised, here is the rest of my post.
I finally was able to have my mouse recognized on the USB port, so my
problem is solved, after a fashion, and I don't have to worry about being
locked out in the middle of my post. However, I would still prefer to run my
trackman on the PS-2 port if my original problem can be solved.

When this problem first occurred, I tried uninstalling & reinstalling the
keyboard driver, followed by reinstallation of Logitech's mouseware. This
worked for about a week. The problem then reappeared -- but this time the
uninstall-reinstall process failed to correct it.

I mentioned in my first post that I had suspicions as to whether this had
something to do with the way my SCSI systems are set up. One reason I
thought so was the discovery in the event log of repetitive errors, about
every second, with the description "The device, \Device\CdRom1, is not ready
for access yet." CdRom1 is my HP 9200 CD Writer which is connected to the
legacy (non-LVD) channel of the aic7892 SCSI on my motherboard. Another
reson for suspecting the SCSI system was because, when I first tried
(unsuccessfully) to run the mouse on USB, I got the standard message about
disconnecting a component incorrectly (with the offer to put a disconnect
icon in the task bar for future cases) when I connected the mouse to the USB
port. However, the unit I was told had been disconnected was not a mouse,
but my HP 9200 CD Writer! In order to get the mouse recognized by USB, I had
to go into the CMOS BIOS and change the setting for the on-board SCSI from
"enabled" to "disabled." When I did this, I _was_ able to get the mouse
recognized by USB.

However, there was another strange development. With the onboard SCSI
disabled in the bIOS, I expected that both the aic7892 SCSI and the HP 9200
CD Writer would disappear from the components shown by Device Manager. To my
surprise, even though disabled on the motherboard, both components are still
listed. What's more, the CD Writer is fully functional!

Can anyone think of why this is? Or, more importantly, can anyone help me
get my mose back to the PS-2 port without locking up the keyboard?

"Tom Filipi" wrote:

> Recently, my mouse has been ceasing to respond some 10-30 minutes after I
> start &n logon to my system. At the same time, the keyboard also stops
> responding (can't use Ctrl-Alt-Del) so I have to use the pc's power reset
> button to stop & restart the system. The time until the lockup occurs seems
> to depend on how much I use my mouse - almost as if there's a quota of X
> mouse moves/clicks allowed to me.
> Mouse is a Logitech Trackman Marble running the latest version of Logitech's
> Mouseware & is connected to the PS-2 port. I tried moving the mouse to a USB
> port but it wasn't detected.
> I had some indication that the problem might be related to my SCSI systems
> (event log messages relating to a HP CD-R/W not responding)
> My system is based on an IWill dual processor MB with onboard aic7892 SCSI.
> In addition, I have a LSI Ultra320 PCI SCSI board installed. I will post
> this now & add further info in a subsequent post (my first 4 tries to post
> were defeated by lockups.)

FWIW, if the mouse is USB, it is best to plug into USB. The adapters to
"switch" connection types can be problematic. Their use is only
suggested as a work around if the correct connection is not available
because they don't always work so well.

Tom Filipi wrote:

> [...]
>>responding (can't use Ctrl-Alt-Del) so I have to use the pc's power reset
>>button to stop & restart the system. The time until the lockup occurs seems
>>to depend on how much I use my mouse - almost as if there's a quota of X
>>mouse moves/clicks allowed to me.
>>Mouse is a Logitech Trackman Marble running the latest version of Logitech's
>>Mouseware & is connected to the PS-2 port. I tried moving the mouse to a USB
>>port but it wasn't detected.
>>I had some indication that the problem might be related to my SCSI systems
>>(event log messages relating to a HP CD-R/W not responding)
>>My system is based on an IWill dual processor MB with onboard aic7892 SCSI.
>>In addition, I have a LSI Ultra320 PCI SCSI board installed. I will post
>>this now & add further info in a subsequent post (my first 4 tries to post

I appreciate the advice, especially as the mouse is working reliably on USB.
But I'm troubled that the mouse on a PS-2 port acquired this mysterious
lockup behavior so suddenly -- after 5 years of trouble-free operation. I
have since tried using a Microsoft Intellimouse I had available, which can
only be used on a PS-2 port. Again, I experienced the identical lockup of
mouse & keyboard after a few minutes. I've added no new software or
hardware, so I can't imagine what changed. Event log doesn't help, since the
lockup seems to occur before an event can be logged.

"Bob I" wrote:

> [...]
> >>responding (can't use Ctrl-Alt-Del) so I have to use the pc's power reset
> >>button to stop & restart the system. The time until the lockup occurs seems
> >>to depend on how much I use my mouse - almost as if there's a quota of X
> >>mouse moves/clicks allowed to me.
> >>Mouse is a Logitech Trackman Marble running the latest version of Logitech's
> >>Mouseware & is connected to the PS-2 port. I tried moving the mouse to a USB
> >>port but it wasn't detected.
> >>I had some indication that the problem might be related to my SCSI systems
> >>(event log messages relating to a HP CD-R/W not responding)
> >>My system is based on an IWill dual processor MB with onboard aic7892 SCSI.
> >>In addition, I have a LSI Ultra320 PCI SCSI board installed. I will post
> >>this now & add further info in a subsequent post (my first 4 tries to post

Perhaps the PS/2 port is no longer functioning correctly(hardware
failure), or the system was "updated" with incorrect drivers for the
motherboard, or the motherboard drivers are incommpatible with a system
file update. If there were no known file changes made the possibility
exists the drivers are somehow damaged. Those are possible reasons for
the behaviour described. Time to investigate the various possible
causes. If the hardware is the cause, there really isn't much fix except
replace the motherboard. So file checking and replacement is all you can
really do without c.