Sign in with
Your question

Thinking of building my own.

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2007 4:05:14 AM

Hey guys,

I've decided to go ahead and build my own computer, but aside from installing some new ram and a video card, I know exactly zilch about the innards of a computer. I've talked to several people who have built their own before and they have said it's not too much a problem. In fact I am looking forward to the project.

Here are my goals:

-Spend less than $1,200
-Have a machine that will last 3ish years without upgrades (I'll upgrade to vista/dx 1x eventually, but probably will wait untill dx11 or 12)
-Be able to upgrade in the future, but have a lasting 'core'
-Play games like Vanguard, Oblivion, BF2142 and other 'next gen' games at high settings

After poking around on the net this is some of the software that I've found that seems like it will do the trick:

Processor: Intel core-duo 6640 ~$220
Video Card: Evga geforce 7950KO ~$265
Memory: 2GB Corsair xms 240-pin ddr2 ~$275
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB ~$95
Power Supply: Antec true power tp3 650w ~$125

I have no idea on what motherboard I should get, or anything else that I may be missing. I have speakers, cd/dvd, keyboard, mouse, etc. covered.

As far as a case, I'm pretty open to most anything. I've been thinking of the Thermaltak Tsunami VA300BWA... I like the idea of a window so I can look in and go "I made dis".

Please feel free to post any comments, criticism, tips... anything.

More about : thinking building

January 5, 2007 4:56:41 AM

If you are looking to play directx 10 games ull need a card that supports it, which is the 8800GTS minimum (i think it runs about 400 on newegg)

try froogleing and checking newegg but the 6640 is good, get some cheaper and better ram (you dont need corsair unless its cheaper) and if you order on newegg i think there are some cheaper PSUs. The rosewill ones are pretty nice and much cheaper but that is a good price for a 650 watt antec psu. Ive read some horror stories about psu's blowing up though so make sure to check ratings!

e6400 - $222 on newegg

gigabyte DS3 - $134 on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

super tallent DDR800 - $267 w/o rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

evga 8800GTS w/o rebate - $420 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... (its $390 with rebate)

now ur about at your limit so if you can recycle other parts itd be good for you. the hard drive is about $100 and dvd rom is about 40 and if you can recycle a case and fork ump another $100 you can get a nice psu. have fun!
January 5, 2007 5:13:37 AM

An 8800gts will blow the hell out of a $1200 budget, and if you get a rosewill psu blowing up is exactly what its going to do! there the lowest of the low.

The ram that sailormonz pointed out is a great deal, i would switch to that stuff. The DS3 is also a great mobo. I would get a 1950xt instead of the 7950, better perforamance for a couple bucks more.

Quote:
(I'll upgrade to vista/dx 1x eventually, but probably will wait untill dx11 or 12)

You'll end up getting a dx10 card at some point, dx11 probably wont be out for 5-6 years.
Related resources
January 5, 2007 5:27:15 AM

Your system seems pretty good enough to last about 3 years. DX9 compatible games will be published for about the next 2 or 3 years. I don't think support for DX9 will begin to drop until MS announces a firm date when DX11 will be released.

Depending on what you are looking for in a motherboard you can spend anywhere between $125 to $250+. The GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 is a good example of an inexpensive mobo with good capabilities. I personally use the MSI 975X Platinum V.2 mobo. I do get very good performance with this mobo and have no complaints. However, some people have had problems with is mobo, but no mobo has a 100% satisfaction rate. The ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP is a popular premium mobo with lots of features, but not really worth it if you don't have any use for those features.

While the 7950KO is a good card, but you should consider an ATI GPU like the 1950XT since Oblivion performs better with ATI GPUs.

The Antec true power tp3 650w is a good PSU. Don't be like other people who buy cheap PSUs like Rosewill for their systems. Crap PSUs can damage your other PC components.
January 5, 2007 5:30:54 AM

Quote:
An 8800gts will blow the hell out of a $1200 budget, and if you get a rosewill psu blowing up is exactly what its going to do! there the lowest of the low.

Yeah that card is super nice, but my bank account isn't. Thanks for the heads up about the rosewill psu!

Quote:
The ram that sailormonz pointed out is a great deal, i would switch to that stuff. The DS3 is also a great mobo. I would get a 1950xt instead of the 7950, better perforamance for a couple bucks more.

Nice find sailormonz, I'll for sure keep an eye on that. I'm off to check on the DS3 and the 1950xt.

Quote:
(I'll upgrade to vista/dx 1x eventually, but probably will wait untill dx11 or 12)

You'll end up getting a dx10 card at some point, dx11 probably wont be out for 5-6 years.

Oh hah. I guess I seem to remember dx8 going to dx9 quickly, and it seemed like dx9 was new like 3 days ago :p  .

I should be able to get by with a good non-dx10 card for awhile though right? I don't plan on getting vista for awhile and it will take a few years for most games to go dx10 exclusive right?
January 5, 2007 5:39:15 AM

Quote:
I should be able to get by with a good non-dx10 card for awhile though right? I don't plan on getting vista for awhile and it will take a few years for most games to go dx10 exclusive right?

Yeah, its going to be like 3 years until the majority of games are dx10, a card like the 1950xt will be a good for a while.
January 5, 2007 5:52:17 AM

For a motherboard I recommend the MSI 975X, i've had a good experience with it and for a graphics card I'd reccomend a 7800gt, in response to the whole rosewill psu, i've been using rosewill for a while, and i've had nothing but good experiences with their parts. Now for some tips that i've learned while building:

1. Don't forget thermal paste & make sure the heatsink is on securely
2. Make sure that certain ide ports arent designated for hdds or optical drives (it can slow down your whole system)
3. don't overclock anything or up the voltage on anything until you have had a successful boot to the os
4. only install what is absolutely needed, install the os, get it running then add one part at a time, this goes for expansion cards, extra drives, anything.
5. check for conflicting irqs
6. don't force anything
7. cases can be sharp and can scratch the surface you're building on
8.last but not least READ THE MANUAL

while i know some of these may seem idiotic, we all make mistakes, and I'm just trying to prevent you from making some of the same mistakes i have
January 5, 2007 7:38:40 AM

Ok, here's a question:

How would a Connect 3D Radeon X1900XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 VIVO video card compare to the others mentioned? I've been reading good things about it, and for $200 it seems like a good deal.

If either a 7800gt or 1950xt would be a lot better I'll drop the dough, but if I can save some cash and not lose much or anything the 1900xt seems decent.
January 5, 2007 7:50:29 AM

The 1900xt is a decent card, but imo, the extra $40 you would pay to get a 1950xt is worth it. There pretty much identical, but the 1950xt's ram is 350mhz faster, that means a noticable performance increase.
!