What is a good walk-in computer parts store

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I live in a small little hick town in southern Illinois and we dont have any computer stores all I use is newegg but I would like to walk in a store and look at some parts in real life not just some picture can you guys tell me some good store then I can look them up and see how far of a drive it is.

Ls3D

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Well I tried Google Local but without your ZIP Code I did not find much. Here in San Diego we have 2 Fry's, 4 CompUSA and about 30 other mom and pop computer stores, and seemingly the latest goodies. For example I can get a striker extreme with a quad core tommorow after a 20 minute drive and major cash withdrawl. When my MoBo died last week I was up and running in 4 hours!

Don't mean to brag, but it is interesting to regionally compare nerd densities!

Maybe you are better off shopping online, not as fun but think of the gas you will save.

-S

njvsav

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I'll toss in Best Buy since no one mentioned that one.

eh, Best Buy is kinda lame. At least the ones in NJ (where I'm from) and now WI (live there now). It's mostly always outdated or discontinued PC parts that no one wants anyway.

CompUSA at least USUALLY has a bigger selection and most of the stuff is within the last year or so, tech wise.

EDIT: I'm talking mostly DIY parts, Mobos, CPU, Ram, etc. Obviously most of their stuff is up to date. :p

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
eh, Best Buy is kinda lame. At least the ones in NJ (where I'm from) and now WI (live there now). It's mostly always outdated or discontinued PC parts that no one wants anyway.

The ones in my area are just way overpriced, like there selling a 1300xt for something like $200. But they have a decent selection of stuff.

njvsav

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006

The ones in my area are just way overpriced, like there selling a 1300xt for something like $200. But they have a decent selection of stuff.

True also. It's hard for any brick and mortar store to compete with Newegg usually. But, when you need a PSU or something RIGHT AWAY, it's usually about the same prices as Newegg + overnight shipping. :p

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Thanx for all the suggestions yeah the best buy 2o miles from here is there is like a Radeon 9250 there for $150 then there will be a X1950 for $320 odd prices I mean come on 9250? Anyway thanx for all the suggestions! I'll have to check out this frys and compusa

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
The question is flawed. It's like asking, What is a good walk-in whore house? What might be good for me may not be good for you.

If I can't get what I need online or from wholesalers we have a Microcenter nearby. CompUSA's warranty is non-existent and Best Buy is not.

oldmantran

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Best Buy has 7600GT for 199 clearance? Goodness, why does anyone buy retail unless they have to have it right that second? I bought the 7600gt on newegg 3 weeks ago for $143 - 65rebate = $78.

If you live in a little town in nowhere, illinois, odds are you don't have anything like a Fry's or Compusa. Stick with newegg. Then again, if you're just looking for a DVD drive or something generic, Walmart has them too. But don't look for a 20 to 24-pin PSU adapter at any big retailer.

Sloehand

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Personally, I'll stay away from the 'big' stores (Future Shop, Best Buy, etc...) cuz in my experience, their stock tends to lack variety and is not always current, and 'knowledgable staff' is a euphamism for 'we make extra money selling particular products".

I'd check around for a reputable store that builds in-house. The odds are good that the staff will be much more knowledgable and their stock will be more geared to demand.

Just my $.02.

Fulmar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I'll toss in Best Buy since no one mentioned that one.

CompUSA at least USUALLY has a bigger selection and most of the stuff is within the last year or so, tech wise.

EDIT: I'm talking mostly DIY parts, Mobos, CPU, Ram, etc. Obviously most of their stuff is up to date. :p

Not to mention overpriced. $20 for a 120mm cheap ball bearing Fan?

Yeah.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
MEMORY EXPRESS!!!!!!
That's my local but nowhere near you guy's (Canada). Sorry just love that store, been in their warhouse a couple times and could have swore I had seen it before in my dreams of heaven. :D

truefoe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Not all towns have Compusa but it was always one of the ones I liked most, Best buy has some items, but when you need them most, they are typically out of stock on that item. And Black Friday is a nightmare there. Here is a locator link for Compusa: https://www.localstore.net/stores/735870/compusa/ I have none in my home town either, so I was hoping to find an answer to this one here.