Dual processor file server

Sorry for the lame question.....But is it overkill to have a dual processor
box for a file server....I was thinking of purchasing a hp dl380 g4. I know
what the answer is but just need to hear it.(makes me warm inside)

Thanks.

"Chrisp-ca" <Chrispca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry for the lame question.....But is it overkill to have a dual
processor
> box for a file server....I was thinking of purchasing a hp dl380 g4. I
know
> what the answer is but just need to hear it.(makes me warm inside)
>
> Thanks.

Depends of the peak load involved. If i remember correctly, the 380 ships
with at least a Xeon with redundant PSU / Fans / scsi or SAS. The question
is whether the available storage area (6) will require an external storage
bay in the case of scsi.

You can always order it with one proc and add another if required. You
definitely want the 2MB cache CPU, those kick a...

There's no real load involved on it. It's our CAd file server. It's running
on a Dell 6300 right now...p3 xeon 600mhz....1g ram...cpu utilization~0-20%.
Not doing much. I honestly think it's overkill for what it does...we just
need the disk space to migrate it. about 150g of data.