Sign in with
Your question

Value of my oldish computer

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2007 5:38:16 AM

I'm debating on selling my old computer and I'd like to know if anyone can help me figure out what its worth. I Built it myself, specs are as follows:

P4 530 HT 3.0 GHz
MSI 915 P/G Mobo
80 Gig IDE 7200RPM Hdd
1 GB PC2700 Value Ram
Geforce 6600GT
16X DL DVD Burner
No OS

Does anyone have an idea of what it's worth or even how i should go about selling it?

More about : oldish computer

January 5, 2007 5:41:15 AM

I dunno, a couple hundred max, its still a decent internet/office app computer. I would retire it to folding@home, or turn it into a linux box. Linux would be awesome for it.
January 5, 2007 6:10:23 AM

Yeah every part on that list has been superceded at least twice now. It's still a good system, though - there have been a few threads like this recently and all of the computers have been better than the PC that I use every day!

I'd just keep it, not worth selling.
Related resources
January 5, 2007 6:52:49 AM

Makem an offer then. Most of them is better than mine as well. Still running my 2500+ Barton. Only recently, after 2 years, upgraded from my 5700 to a 7600GS.

@OP. Does it include the drivers?
January 5, 2007 6:56:12 AM

Hey, I'd love to. But a Sempron @ 2.2ghz (the overclock was just for fun, rather than any useful performance gain) running as a host for my many hard drives does the job and will continue to do so for a good while I'm sure.

If I want to use Windows, I use Parallels! That PC barely sees 20 mins of use a day.
January 5, 2007 1:59:14 PM

i can include all of the needed drivers on a disk, right now its running OSX86, i plan to wipe the hd ahead of time, i do agree with mesa over the whole mac thing, the actual reason I'm selling it is to get a mac mini, but no one has told me what they think the value is.
January 5, 2007 5:19:57 PM

Quote:
I'm selling it is to get a mac mini, but no one has told me what they think the value is.

I told you, a couple hundred. Mac mini's rule!
January 5, 2007 10:06:54 PM

I hear that! I run a Parallels system that's faster than any of my Windows PCs and I can literally Alt+Tab between the two OSs. Effing great!

Plus it's silent. And looks nice. And is generally fantastic (second best computer I've ever used in fact)
January 5, 2007 11:04:18 PM

Easiest way to find thee value is to compare it to what the current budget-category offerings of DELL (or Gateway, or whatever) are.
250-300$ would be an optimistic estimate.

It's still a nice rig though. Unless you really need a MAC (honestly though, who *really* needs a Mac?), I think you're just losing money & performance if you end up doing the switch.
January 5, 2007 11:05:27 PM

Quote:

It's still a nice rig though. Unless you really need a MAC (honestly though, who *really* needs a Mac?), I think you're just losing money & performance if you end up doing the switch.

You really want that question answered? (Pandora's Box warning!)
January 5, 2007 11:24:39 PM

Why not.
I'm looking at it from the perspective of an engineer who uses WinXP/Linux as his OS, along with MatLab and some CAD tools for work, as well as several standard C/C++ compliers modified to work for a few embedded systems as target platform. I also game occasionnaly on my WinXP. A MAC would not offer me such flexibility.

But I'd be interested to know about the cases where a MAC does make sense, and justify its price premium. So go ahead by all means.
January 5, 2007 11:30:34 PM

Mac doesnt stand for anything! why the hell does everybody say MAC? Its either Mac or mac, nothing else.

Im not even going to start on the "who really needs a mac statment". I was mac elitist for many years, old habits die hard.
January 6, 2007 4:42:02 AM

Aside from that little outburst, is someone actually going to tell me anything interesting related to Macs?
January 6, 2007 4:44:31 AM

I would say a couple hundred with no OS and monitor. It is decent for light gaming since it has a graphics card.
January 6, 2007 9:59:39 AM

Well the 'what good is a Macintosh anyway' thread has been done to death, and you don't sound like you want to be convinced of anything so I shan't bother listing how a Macintosh benifits my industry.

But I will point out that there isn't actually a price premium - I costed my Mini up against a similar PC before I bought it and it was only about £20 more, plus had all the advantages - running Mac OS and Windows (with Parallels or Boot Camp), small, and completely silent. And at the high end, I've read quite a few articles from PC sites which were surpised that the Mac Pro was in fact cheaper than an equiv. Dell.

I wouldn't say I'm an 'elitist', but I do think Macs are the better choice for most people right now. Of course gamers and people in certain CAD jobs or whatever will need a PC instead, but a better computer for browsing the internet, IM, MS Word, listening to music and digital camera organisation you will not find. So pretty much every home user who buys a Dell would be better off with a Mini or an iMac.

Not the point, really...this was my attempt at a 'lets not go there' post, which apparently gave a guided tour of where 'there' is. But yeah, let's not.

Oh and people, please PM the mods and get us a Macintosh forum.
!