Value of my oldish computer

I'm debating on selling my old computer and I'd like to know if anyone can help me figure out what its worth. I Built it myself, specs are as follows:

P4 530 HT 3.0 GHz
MSI 915 P/G Mobo
80 Gig IDE 7200RPM Hdd
1 GB PC2700 Value Ram
Geforce 6600GT
16X DL DVD Burner
No OS

Does anyone have an idea of what it's worth or even how i should go about selling it?
14 answers Last reply
More about value oldish computer
  1. I dunno, a couple hundred max, its still a decent internet/office app computer. I would retire it to folding@home, or turn it into a linux box. Linux would be awesome for it.
  2. Yeah every part on that list has been superceded at least twice now. It's still a good system, though - there have been a few threads like this recently and all of the computers have been better than the PC that I use every day!

I'd just keep it, not worth selling.
  3. Makem an offer then. Most of them is better than mine as well. Still running my 2500+ Barton. Only recently, after 2 years, upgraded from my 5700 to a 7600GS.

@OP. Does it include the drivers?
  4. Hey, I'd love to. But a Sempron @ 2.2ghz (the overclock was just for fun, rather than any useful performance gain) running as a host for my many hard drives does the job and will continue to do so for a good while I'm sure.

If I want to use Windows, I use Parallels! That PC barely sees 20 mins of use a day.
  5. i can include all of the needed drivers on a disk, right now its running OSX86, i plan to wipe the hd ahead of time, i do agree with mesa over the whole mac thing, the actual reason I'm selling it is to get a mac mini, but no one has told me what they think the value is.
  6. Quote:
    I'm selling it is to get a mac mini, but no one has told me what they think the value is.

I told you, a couple hundred. Mac mini's rule!
  7. I hear that! I run a Parallels system that's faster than any of my Windows PCs and I can literally Alt+Tab between the two OSs. Effing great!

Plus it's silent. And looks nice. And is generally fantastic (second best computer I've ever used in fact)
  8. Easiest way to find thee value is to compare it to what the current budget-category offerings of DELL (or Gateway, or whatever) are.
    250-300$ would be an optimistic estimate.

It's still a nice rig though. Unless you really need a MAC (honestly though, who *really* needs a Mac?), I think you're just losing money & performance if you end up doing the switch.
  9. Quote:

It's still a nice rig though. Unless you really need a MAC (honestly though, who *really* needs a Mac?), I think you're just losing money & performance if you end up doing the switch.

You really want that question answered? (Pandora's Box warning!)
  10. Why not.
    I'm looking at it from the perspective of an engineer who uses WinXP/Linux as his OS, along with MatLab and some CAD tools for work, as well as several standard C/C++ compliers modified to work for a few embedded systems as target platform. I also game occasionnaly on my WinXP. A MAC would not offer me such flexibility.

But I'd be interested to know about the cases where a MAC does make sense, and justify its price premium. So go ahead by all means.
  11. Mac doesnt stand for anything! why the hell does everybody say MAC? Its either Mac or mac, nothing else.

Im not even going to start on the "who really needs a mac statment". I was mac elitist for many years, old habits die hard.
  12. Aside from that little outburst, is someone actually going to tell me anything interesting related to Macs?
  13. I would say a couple hundred with no OS and monitor. It is decent for light gaming since it has a graphics card.
  14. Well the 'what good is a Macintosh anyway' thread has been done to death, and you don't sound like you want to be convinced of anything so I shan't bother listing how a Macintosh benifits my industry.

But I will point out that there isn't actually a price premium - I costed my Mini up against a similar PC before I bought it and it was only about £20 more, plus had all the advantages - running Mac OS and Windows (with Parallels or Boot Camp), small, and completely silent. And at the high end, I've read quite a few articles from PC sites which were surpised that the Mac Pro was in fact cheaper than an equiv. Dell.

I wouldn't say I'm an 'elitist', but I do think Macs are the better choice for most people right now. Of course gamers and people in certain CAD jobs or whatever will need a PC instead, but a better computer for browsing the internet, IM, MS Word, listening to music and digital camera organisation you will not find. So pretty much every home user who buys a Dell would be better off with a Mini or an iMac.

Not the point, really...this was my attempt at a 'lets not go there' post, which apparently gave a guided tour of where 'there' is. But yeah, let's not.

Oh and people, please PM the mods and get us a Macintosh forum.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems