Steve911924

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Hey all,
I was just wondering how a dual Opteron system running a total of four cores (2xdual core) compare to AMD's 4x4 platform?

I was looking at my next huge project, and I was looking at 2 Opty's running on a Tyan Tiger SLI server mobo. Apart from using registered ECC RAM, and an extra PCI-e slot on the 4x4 motherboard, what's the major difference?

My Opteron server idea is cheaper, still fits in an ATX case, runs cooler and the extra cost of the 4x4 mobo is far more than the Tyan one (even with the registered RAM), and plus i can run two Nvidia cards in SLI.

Am I missing something here with QFX?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Hey all,
I was just wondering how a dual Opteron system running a total of four cores (2xdual core) compare to AMD's 4x4 platform?

I was looking at my next huge project, and I was looking at 2 Opty's running on a Tyan Tiger SLI server mobo. Apart from using registered ECC RAM, and an extra PCI-e slot on the 4x4 motherboard, what's the major difference?

My Opteron server idea is cheaper, still fits in an ATX case, runs cooler and the extra cost of the 4x4 mobo is far more than the Tyan one (even with the registered RAM), and plus i can run two Nvidia cards in SLI.

You must not be a hardcore dev like myself, otherwise you would see what a savior QuadFX is. Think of it, two of AMD's top cpus combined in one system, with the upgrade path of getting 2 quad core K8L's for later upgrades.

PS. Don't listen to jack, hes just out to get me.

Ehhh jack :wink:

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Hey all,

Nope. In fact the FXs are actually modified Opterons. QFX has turned out to be a major disappointment, with incredibly high power consumption yet no performance to match(Actually, one could say it wasn't a disappointment at since since most of us weren't expecting much). Your Opteron idea is probably better.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hey all,

Not sure if you're an overclocker, but the Tyan server board isn't going to have overclocking options.

Steve911924

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Hey,

I was primarily using it for a build i had planned a while ago, and with the release of 4x4, i kinda laughed at AMD's "megatasking" advertising because isnt the principal basically the same.

Cheers Jack for clearing up the major differences between the two (I admire BM's gruge towards you, hes persistent!), I will be using the rig for a file/network server and it will accomodate many clients. I was looking at using my 1600XT (eek) for the moment, and plopping an 8 series card, when i eventually migrate it to a games server/online hosting machine.

Its a bit in the air at the moment, but when I can get my act together and finally build the machine, I will gladly post benchies (im afraid there might be a bit of a wait though, sorry)

EDIT: I also want to see how much overclocking I can get done with two Opty's as opposed to the pretty measly 200 or so MHZ attainable out of the 4x4 running FX's.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hey all,

Though Vista isn't out yet, I'll chime in. There are huge dfferences between QFX and Dual Opteron. QFX has a tweakable BIOS. Opteron does not.
QFX allows for four GPUs. Opteron does not. QFX supports DDR2 800. Opteron supports DDR2 667.
QFX max TDP is 125W Opteron max TDP is 119W.

It is cheaper also as I have priced Opteron Dual at above $3500 for 4GB RAM. For that I put together an FX70 with 8GB, 8800GTS for $3500. ibuypower sells their QFX systems with watercooling.

Since QFX was designed with Vista Ultimate in mind, its useless to use XP to determine how it will behave under Visata.

MS should lift their NDA on Vista in the next few weeks. I expect 10% improvements across the board.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Like ive said many times before i get the quadfx concept, but the power consumption is a crime. I think when the barcelona chips come out everyone else will get the quadfx concept, but until then, a quad core 2 fits the bill.

Any professional quality machines should have Xeons or Optys with ECC RAM, in my opinion.

I second that opinion. If you plan on hosting or running any services, ECC is necessary.

Even with ECC memory, by adding a 8xxx series gpu as you mentioned, the rig will still be one mean a$s gaming machine.

Also, don't plan on overclocking dual opty's using ECC memory, even if the BIOS has the options available to adjust the fsb and timings, you're not gonna get much out of it.

Steve911924

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
How much slower is registered ECC RAM versus regular DDRII 667?

My question of overclocking was more a pun against QFX, but in reality I wouldn't try becasue I figure a server's bios wouldnt be very forthcoming with options. As for gaming performance, My partner is using my old gaming rig, which is running an Opteron 165 on my socket 939 system, and apart from killing my X1800XT (v-mod gone wrong), performace has been flawless. I figure I would run this system with two Opty 265's with at least 2GB RAM, probably 4 if I migrate to Vista ASAP.

Yes, you are missing faster, cheaper, more energy efficient, and much more overclockable solution: Core2 Quad.

I can see your argument here, as Intel's Core 2 has earnt a good rep for itself, but a kentsfield is so damn expensive (especially here in AUS), I seem to find cheaper deals on AMD CPU's for some reason. Before I acutally go ahead with this, I'll look at power consumption and heat alot (I'm aiming for it to be a 24/7 server)

P.S- Baron, if you get a QuadFX system up and running I'll have to bench mine versus yours :lol:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Though Vista isn't out yet, I'll chime in. There are huge dfferences between QFX and Dual Opteron. QFX has a tweakable BIOS. Opteron does not.
QFX allows for four GPUs. Opteron does not. QFX supports DDR2 800. Opteron supports DDR2 667.
QFX max TDP is 125W Opteron max TDP is 119W.

Well yeah it does have a 'tweakable' BIOS...not that you can squeeze ANY extra juice out of 4x4 because the architecture is at it's absolute limit.

SLi is a feature most can do without, too.

And I thought it was designed for 'megatasking' rather than Vista Ultimate in particular?