Antec NeoHE 550W enough?

Hello all,

Heres the deal. I may be able to spring for an 8800GTS. Its going to be one of these 2. (Unless someone else thinks maybe of a better choice?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130071

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150215

Though im not sure if my system plus with the Antec NeoHE 550w will allow it to work correctly.

The system is in the sig: Additional Specs include...
Proc power: 1.375v
Mem: 2.7v
2x120gb 8mb cache, 7200rpm SATA hard drives (not in raid)
2 opitcal drives: 1 DL dvd-rw and 1 dvd-rom
Floppy drive
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy ZS 2
Antec P180 Case with all the stock fans (3x120mm)
will the Antec NeoHE 550w power everything without lowering the OC?
Also will this thing fit into my case. I hear that it is very long, but so is my X1900XTX, so is it longer than that? and will I have problems with it. Also, will I bottleneck it badly with my CPU? or do I look ok? Should I even bother? I just want DX10 while I have the extra cash so I dont blow it on something else stupid later. lol

Is there anything else that factors in that i am missing? let me know what you guys would do. Thx in advance for the help. (note that I do not like OC'ing vid cards as much because I just dont like OC'ing software, if it were in the bios it would be a different story, so that is why I consider the factory OC. Notice how very little I have OC'ed my XTX. The factory OC is always very appealing to me.) lol

Best,

3Ball
5 answers Last reply
More about antec neohe 550w enough
  1. Yeah, that psu should be plenty for your system. With that oc your cpu shouldny bottleneck the graphics card by too much, probably only get a couple extra FPS if you upgrade to something like an E6600.
  2. Absolutely poor quality on NeoHE's. I had two, count them, two of them bad. Bought one from ZipZoomFly and was dead out the box. Instead of returning it to ZZF, I swindled Best Buy into exchanging for another. Installed it and it worked for two days. Went to turn my computer on one evening and all I heard was a spark and saw smoke coming from the power supply. My experience tells me to avoid all NeoHE's. Stupid that a $170 power supply has such a bad rep.
  3. Well I have had mine for alil over a year now and it has help up very well. It has held my OC at a lower voltage than my previous 550w, so I have been satisfied with it as is my roommate whom has had his for about 6 months so far. Only cost us $100 full retail from zippy for ours, sry for your problems with them though. Thx again all.

Best,

3Ball
  4. Depending if my friend buys my parts or not I may also be upgrading my system with the following:

Intel Xeon 3040 w/ Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
    Abit AB9 Pro
    2gb Super Talent DDR2 800mhz w/ 4-4-3-8 timings

Will prolly shoot for 2.6ghz - 2.8ghz, but that system will require less voltage with the DDR2 over the DDR and possibly the CPU if not around the same, so I figure if I do get that then I will get the best of both worlds, but it is a long shot because he doesnt really have the money to buy my current parts. Would be nice to have those couple FPS you talk about, lol I suppose I am greedy when it comes to that...lol oh well! Thx again.

Best,

3Ball
  5. Yea the hard drives are both in the lower drive bay already, I have some wires running through their, but that can easily be moved if need be, thx for the info.

Best,

3Ball
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Antec Components Product