Asus mobos and Corsair memories not compatible?

zcrooge

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Hi,
I'm going to buy a C2D E6300, thought I'd put it on a Asus P5B motherboard. For memories I had decided on Corsair but I just got a mail from a computer store support that said Asus and Corsair don't go well together?

I'm thinking maybe the problem is that the right settings isn't made in BIOS since default voltage is 1,8(? or 1,9) and some of the Corsair memories need voltage of 2,1. I'd really need some input on this one :)

And if that's true, should I change the motherboard brand or memory brand? If so, what brands work well with C2D and either Asus or Corsair? I have no intention to overclock any component...

This building a new computer from scratch is turning my hair white! 8O

Thanks for your help

Dredge_3d

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
i am assuming that you are going to use Dominators, if you have a plan to haev dominators then go for it, i ahev dominators working absolutely fine on P5b delux

zcrooge

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
i am assuming that you are going to use Dominators, if you have a plan to haev dominators then go for it, i ahev dominators working absolutely fine on P5b delux
Did you need to change the voltage settings for the memories in BIOS to make the memories work?

And thanks for your answer :)

tomhole

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have COrsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (PC6400) ram and it booted first try with my p5b deluxe. I've had it as high as 950 MHz (475 FSB) without issues. I bought it specifically because other p5b users said it worked and it does.

Tom

Dredge_3d

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
I am curious why my system works then? I have the Asus P5B (vanilla), and the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 from Corsair. All things are running well.
DITO
infact the manual has a whole heap of manufacturers, whos RAM fits just fine in P5B deluxe or WiFi

zcrooge

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Sometimes it's hard to know what to believe. But in the end you have to make a decision based on all the information you get.

And if you're unfortunate the best brands may be faulty...

Thanks for sharing you experience. :D

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I've been using Asus & Corsair over my last 2 systems & other than needing to manually set the timings on my old Athalon system I've had no trouble. I'm using twinx 2048 on my AM2 with an Asus Corsair board & no issues at all.

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Asus and Corsiar XMS are a great combo!!!, I don't even need to manually set timing and frequency for my memory and it picks up. Works like a charm...

halcyon

Splendid
I just ordered an Asus Extreme Striker and plan on using TWIN2X2048-6400C4D Dominators (Promos, I'm sure). I hope the Dominators like that board better than they liked the Gigabyte GA-965P DS3, on which they would only do 5-5-5-12 @ 825Mhz. That's what I get for using expensive RAM with a budget board. Finicky.

So I'm also counting on Asus and Corsair being a happy combo.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
As far as I know, ASUS and Corsair are the best couples. OCZ is the one that causes problems with ASUS boards.

If you still doubt, go check corsair.com and put your motherboard model in there, it will tell you what corsair memories are compatibles.

halcyon

Splendid
As far as I know, ASUS and Corsair are the best couples. OCZ is the one that causes problems with ASUS boards.

If you still doubt, go check corsair.com and put your motherboard model in there, it will tell you what corsair memories are compatibles.

Nice rig you got there. What timings are your Corsairs at?

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006

Well right now Im not into overclocking my memories since I want to overclock my CPU to 400Mhz and have it estable so I can have a 1:1 ratio :)

My memories are in default right now at 4-4-4-12

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Dominators would surely do that job and I would say even more. You just gotta make sure you get the fans that go on top of them for better cooling and have many fans around your case because the striker extreme frees so much power that your case gets really hot! trust me! :D

halcyon

Splendid
I've heard that the Striker does get hot. This Gigabyte DS3 gets a little warm too. I have a Thermaltake Mozart TX case with 5X 120mm Scythe S-Flex fans but the case is not nearly as cool as I'd like it to be, so I'll let the temps determine how much OC I apply and might consider going to a more open case, though I love the way the Mozart TX looks. I'm really itching to get my hands on the Striker Extreme but I imagine a P5N32-E SLI would have been just as good, and it costs less, but no one's got them in stock right now.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Yes, the striker gets hot. Those pipes dont let that much air get into the CPU section but a good cooler solves the problem.
Also, my temps determine my overclocking results! I wouldnt like with a toasty board :p

Before you get the P5N32-E, read the reviews on Newegg, they are not that good. Also, I dont know if you have noticed it but the P5N32-E is not in the ASUS site anymore. No wonder why. I would say if you can afford the Striker, go for it. it is soooooooooooo future proof. Im glad I got it this january 2 cuz it came with latest BIOS 701 with support for 1333mhz conroes!!!!

halcyon

Splendid
I've already ordered the Striker Extreme and I have a Tuniq Tower that seems to do an admirable job of keeping the CPU cool enough. When my Striker arrives next week it'd be great if its already got 0701 on it, but if not, I'll flash it.

Yeah, after having this Gigabyte I wanted a feature-rich mobo, but I really debated on spending $410. ...oh well, its spent. I just hope it lives up to my expectactions and isn't too hot for this case.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
So far, I love my striker and those $400 were well-spent. I will keep this striker for many many years. CPU can be easily upgraded as well as SLI, 8GB of memory. OMG I cant imagine me 4 years from now upgrading this motherboard. But nobody knows! I might change it in 4 years too :p

halcyon

Splendid
I hope I do love the Striker Extreme, but I know I'll want something newer in 2-3 years as upgrades are released, but it'll be hard to top for a while, for me. ...on the P5N32-E SLI, that's wild, I feel like I just saw it on their site 2 or 3 days ago but perhaps I'm mistaken...it is indeed not there now!

On the one hand, one might think that for $410 the Striker Extreme should work with any grade of memory one might choose to use. On the other hand, racing cars typically require racing fuel. 8O

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well, right now i can see you have Dominators, they work perfectly with the Striker-Extreme. And you can always check the Corsair site to check the QVL for the ASUS boards so I dont see any problems :)

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
There are two problems with P5Bs and Corsair.

1) Maybe this has been fixed with newer BIOS revisions, but higher-end RAM that needs more than 1.8v to activate will not allow you to boot. Thus the hundreds of trips people have made to CompUSA to buy generic RAM to boot.

2) There is a documented problem with setting RAM speed manually and the sub-timings. If you leave it on AUTO, the SPD timings are read correctly. If you change to manual, the BIOS then sets the sub-timings to 10-10-10-10, which will cause you to be unstable. If you want to set your timings manually, the best thing to do, with any brand of module, is to download MemSet,
discover your subtimings with it, and then set them in BIOS. Do not change the timings in Windows unless you want to risk a crash or corruption.

Also see this thread on the Corsair forums for more information on the subtimings problem.

s-d

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
There are two problems with P5Bs and Corsair.

1) Maybe this has been fixed with newer BIOS revisions, but higher-end RAM that needs more than 1.8v to activate will not allow you to boot. Thus the hundreds of trips people have made to CompUSA to buy generic RAM to boot.

2) There is a documented problem with setting RAM speed manually and the sub-timings. If you leave it on AUTO, the SPD timings are read correctly. If you change to manual, the BIOS then sets the sub-timings to 10-10-10-10, which will cause you to be unstable. If you want to set your timings manually, the best thing to do, with any brand of module, is to download MemSet,
discover your subtimings with it, and then set them in BIOS. Do not change the timings in Windows unless you want to risk a crash or corruption.

Also see this thread on the Corsair forums for more information on the subtimings problem.

today from newegg ... today the asus striker extreme got pulled from the inventory of available mob's

anyone know why?