Hard Drive size limitation

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 20, 2005 9:04:02 PM

Hi,
I'm trying to install a fresh copy of win2k pro on a new drive. The drive is
250gb, but the problem is that my Win2k cd is only sp1. According to what ive
seen in other posts and this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/305098/EN-...
sp will fix it, but then what? Does the extra space just magically appear?
or do i need to do anything special?
Thanks in advance
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:37:43 AM

After the install you can apply the reghack in this article.

48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

--