Permission Denied During Windows Update

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update (More info?)

Hello,
I am working on a Win200Professional machine connected to my office LAN. The
domain administrator recently formatted my machine and did a clean install
of Win200Prof. SP4. After that, using his own login account, he explicitly
downloaded all the updates from the Windows Update website and installed
them.

Now, some new updates have been released by microsoft, and if I goto the
Windows Update website, I am able to download the updates. But when I
install them it fails. I have tried manually running the patch, from the
C:\WUTemp folder, where it got downloaded, but it fails with a message: "You
donot have permissions to update Windows2000. Please contact your system
administrator." I have contacted the domain administrator and he says that I
have all the permissions to do the installation.

My login-account is also a part of the Administrators group and I am allowed
to install softwares on my machine. And even if I login using the Local
Administrator account, I get the same error. Its only through the account of
Domain Administrator that the updates are getting installed.

Also, there is some setting done at our domain server whereby the client
machines are not allowed to make changes to the Windows Updates settings
from Control Panel. The settings have already been set to "Automatically
download and install at 1PM everyday". Initially when the updates were first
installed (using the Domain Administrator's account), my machine had a SUS
client. Later on, when I failed to install newer updates (using my account),
I even upgraded my machine to WSUS client, but still continued to get the
same error.

One another interesting observation. The Auto Update feature also downloads
the updates and show me a popup from the system tray that new updates are
ready to be installed. Now, if I click on the install button, the patches
fail to install. However, if I donot click on install button, the updates
get successfully installed at their scheduled time of 1PM.

Please find below the details from Event Log for one of the failures during
install.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Victory

**** EVENT LOG DETAILS ****
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows Update Agent
Event Category: Installation
Event ID: 20
Date: 19-Jul-05
Time: 3:30:56 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HGLPC162
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
error 0x8007f004: Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB901214).
Data:
0000: 57 69 6e 33 32 48 52 65 Win32HRe
0008: 73 75 6c 74 3d 30 78 38 sult=0x8
0010: 30 30 37 66 30 30 34 20 007f004
0018: 55 70 64 61 74 65 49 44 UpdateID
0020: 3d 7b 44 34 39 46 38 43 ={D49F8C
0028: 44 39 2d 37 35 30 42 2d D9-750B-
0030: 34 31 30 44 2d 39 31 46 410D-91F
0038: 41 2d 42 44 38 44 45 43 A-BD8DEC
0040: 35 31 44 39 41 36 7d 20 51D9A6}
0048: 52 65 76 69 73 69 6f 6e Revision
0050: 4e 75 6d 62 65 72 3d 31 Number=1
0058: 30 32 20 00 02 .

*****************************

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update (More info?)

Hi Victory,

The error 0x8007f004 means Insufficient Privilege . Pls take a look at this
link and make sure the accouont used for updating have the privileges stated
by Narayana from MS.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/e96f5fdd11e8c6a8

Note that other than local security policy, the setting can also be affected
by domain policy. So if you are not sure, ask your domain admins.

HTH this time.

br,
Denis

"Victory" <ashishchamaria@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Data:
> 0000: 57 69 6e 33 32 48 52 65 Win32HRe
> 0008: 73 75 6c 74 3d 30 78 38 sult=0x8
> 0010: 30 30 37 66 30 30 34 20 007f004
> 0018: 55 70 64 61 74 65 49 44 UpdateID
> 0020: 3d 7b 44 34 39 46 38 43 ={D49F8C
> 0028: 44 39 2d 37 35 30 42 2d D9-750B-
> 0030: 34 31 30 44 2d 39 31 46 410D-91F
> 0038: 41 2d 42 44 38 44 45 43 A-BD8DEC
> 0040: 35 31 44 39 41 36 7d 20 51D9A6}
> 0048: 52 65 76 69 73 69 6f 6e Revision
> 0050: 4e 75 6d 62 65 72 3d 31 Number=1
> 0058: 30 32 20 00 02 .
>
> *****************************

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update (More info?)

Thanks a Lot Denis !!!
The problem was with the Group Policy at the domain level.
The activity "Manage auditing and security log" had permissions for Domain
Administrator only.
The setting has now been removed from the Domain Server and things are
normal again. I have installed all the updates.
Thanks also on behalf of my Domain Administrator.

Victory

P.S. HTH !!??

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
message news:u5H8o6mjFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...