System eating up resources

I have a system that will have no programs open but will appear to "lock up".
I've checked the task manager and it seems that "system" is working at 100%.
Does anyone know what would be causing this and how do I fix it.

Running Windows 2000 SP2. A reboot of the system does not help.

Thanks

First, you need to upgrade to SP4. There are a lot of hotfixes between where you are and SP4 update 1.

When system is at 100% you probably have a device that is flooding the system with interrupts or a failing device such as a disk
drive that is causing continuous error retries. Likely culprits are USB drivers and devices. Check the event logs, disable
third-party applications like antivirus, spyware scanners, firewalls, etc. If your motherboard chipset manufacturer has a core
driver set, apply the latest version.

But first get updated on Windows.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"DRoads" <DRoads@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B1CD8AF-6691-42F0-8432-3223911005A6@microsoft.com...
>I have a system that will have no programs open but will appear to "lock up".
> I've checked the task manager and it seems that "system" is working at 100%.
> Does anyone know what would be causing this and how do I fix it.
>
> Running Windows 2000 SP2. A reboot of the system does not help.
>
> Thanks

TRENDING THREADS