dagitus06

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
i have a problem with my pc and i suspect that is the psu to blame. the computer shuts down by itself when i try to run some games. i installed the latest drivers but nothing. then i ran 3d mark and when i got to the point of making the cpu test the computer crashed again. so is it the psu ? in desktop applications the computer works fine.

my desktop is:
cpu amd sempron 2600+ / epox 8 hdai pro main board / 512ram / hdd seagate barracuda 200gb+40gb ide / club ati radeon 9600 256mb ddr / dvd wr lg/ a case that has a side fan and some leds in front and a 400w psu

please help...

It sounds like it. What are the PSU details on the label? That system should barely be able to max out at 200w so that psu must be really old, really crappy or both.

It could also be overheating so one thing to try would be to check the cpu / gpu heat by giving it a feel with one hand and grounding your other hand to a metal part of the chassis, usually that just causes a blue screen / lockup but it's worth a look.

Another cause may be your AC input voltage may be not optimal, if you have a mulitmeter maybe check the voltage on it... A coworker of mine had that problem and it would shut off under load at first, then randomly and eventually killed the cheapo psu. After the 2nd one died he got a line-interactive UPS unit and all was well, since the electrician could not do anything about his problem it was just his apartment / dorm was just overloaded and the building mgmt was too cheap to do anything about it. The down side, his batteries are strained and only last 1/2 the usual lifetime so he has to change it almost every couple of years or so. Mine last 5 or more :D

dagitus06

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
on the psu it says ac input 110V/220V ..4 A..50-60hz
dc output max : orange +3.3 V 15 A
red +5V 20 A
yellow +12V 8A
white -5V 0.5A
blue -12V 0.5 A
purple 5V sb 1.5 A
gray P/G OK

the temp of the system is 32 C