Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

can someone scan this build for me before i buy..

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 5, 2007 1:10:06 PM

Case: Antec P180 (Black)
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply
Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)
Graphics: BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
Harddrive(s): 2x Raptors (Raid)
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional (prefered the sound of this as it had x-ram for £20 more then music edition)
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Edition (yep im prepaired for the bugs)
DVD-Rom: Asus E616A3 16x DV-ROM (Black)
DVD-Writer: Asus DRW-1608P3S 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
Floppy Disc: Sony Floppy Drive (Black)

thats my complete build, i cant see any problems or bottlenecks off the top of my head but i have been researching the damned thing for weeks now so im tired lol.

can i get a second opinion on weather theres any bottlenecks / problems / stablity issues etc before i buy please?

More about : scan build buy

January 5, 2007 1:50:05 PM

looks just fine to me, any case fans?
January 5, 2007 1:53:23 PM

Quote:
looks just fine to me, any case fans?


i beleive the case comes with fans included
Related resources
January 5, 2007 1:55:04 PM

I'd get the 32 bit version of Vista.

Get a floppy+card reader combo instead of a plain floppy

A Zalman cpu cooler if OC'in
January 5, 2007 1:56:41 PM

Quote:
I'd get the 32 bit version of Vista.


isnt the logical next step 64bit tho... it seems very certain that once vista is offically released that companys will be making x64 drivers as a standard?
and its been shown games run faster on x64 vista
January 5, 2007 1:58:48 PM

XP x64 has been out a long time and there is still no 64 bit software.
January 5, 2007 2:02:26 PM

true, tho personally ive not paid attention to x64 XP since i already had XP running fine, didnt wanna spend another £150 for no real reason. im sure many many other ppl are the same way.

id imagine all the "hot-preorders" of Vista will be the x64 version, companys will be forced to make x64 drivers id guess
January 5, 2007 2:14:01 PM

Drivers have caught up on most stuff.

The one's still missing on x64 XP are for wifi stuff and my gaming mouse.
January 5, 2007 2:17:03 PM

:)  well i think its only drivers im worried about.... everything else microsoft will fix themselves over time with updates.

and i checked the mobo website, they offer the mobo's drivers in 64bit so i wont be stuck with a lemon :) 
January 5, 2007 3:11:05 PM

Quote:
XP x64 has been out a long time and there is still no 64 bit software.


Well I'm running XP 64 and it runs _nearly_ all 32 bit apps and games just fine. Problems are usually limited to really old stuff or low-level things like device drivers or apps that read devices directly. Even then, many 32 bit drivers still work.

There is quite a lot of 64 bit software out there... I have a 64 bit version of many games such as Unreal Tournmanent 2004 and far-cry, and 64 bit nividia drivers. Intel Dual core and Vista coming out will probably also massively increase the amount of windows apps and games released with 64-bit versions.

Actually many windows software installer programs (e.g. setup.exe) just quietly detect if you're using 64 bit and install the right version of the binaries without telling you.

f you really want a totally 64-bit OS and software then just use Linux instead. Its way better than windows (especially Vista) in so many ways anyway.
January 5, 2007 3:28:42 PM

if your looking for bottle necks, your ram might, and you might wanna look into a 680i, cpu could go higher to a QX6700 or X6800, just a thought, the lower the timings the better, dominator is good and can withstand high voltages and high speeds and low timings
January 5, 2007 4:11:49 PM

That's a sweet case, although I never liked that fan setup (mine is the same way). You've got three fans (out the back, out the top and the CPU fan) trying to pull air all from the same place and it just makes them run louder. The PSU on bottom is nice, just like some of the Lian Li cases.

I would probably grab something like the thermaltake all-in-one thing they've got since it looks like you have room for the radiator on that back fan. One less fan and better cooling.
January 5, 2007 4:30:32 PM

Based on reading the article from Tom's Hardware on "The 8800GTX needs the fastest CPU", I'd get the 8800GTS instead of the GTX since you are getting the E6600. You will probably save around 70-80 pounds.

Everything else looks good.
January 5, 2007 4:34:09 PM

Quote:
if your looking for bottle necks, your ram might, and you might wanna look into a 680i, cpu could go higher to a QX6700 or X6800, just a thought, the lower the timings the better, dominator is good and can withstand high voltages and high speeds and low timings


i dont like overclocking, so dominator ram would be a waste (not to mention £100-150 more expencive), ive looked at the 680i mobos but i simpley cant afford it, same for the cpu unfortunately.

current build is going to cost me the best part of £1500 (£100 over budget), adding on 680i / pc8500 ram / X6800 would put me on the £2500 mark lol so no can do ^^


Quote:
I would probably grab something like the thermaltake all-in-one thing they've got since it looks like you have room for the radiator on that back fan. One less fan and better cooling.


i love thermaltake, ill probley play around with cooling at a later date (once ive sold my vital organs to pay for the pc)

Quote:
Based on reading the article from Tom's Hardware on "The 8800GTX needs the fastest CPU", I'd get the 8800GTS instead of the GTX since you are getting the E6600. You will probably save around 70-80 pounds.

Everything else looks good.


thought has occured to me, but id like the max graphics possible since i wont be upgrading graphics again & higher processors will drop down in price in 6months time & i can upgrade then :) 

the way i see this build is a massive upgrade from my current AMD64 3500 / 6800GT graphics (AGP), with the ability to upgrade it later on for minimal cost since i got stuck in the AGP to PCI-Express thing on my last build (like many other ppl have)

sounds like theres no problems with my write up so far (other then ability to upgrade) so ill order my parts later :) 
January 5, 2007 4:58:16 PM

One thing to be aware of if you are ordering soon, there are no Vista drivers yet for the 8800 GTX.

I built a machine in the middle of Dec, and I installed RTM version of Vista from my MSDN subscription. I was excited to see the aero interface withy my 8800, and the drivers do not exist.

They should be released when Vista is released, at least that is what all of the other disgruntled early adopters of this card and Vista are hoping.

I finally installed XP on my machine, and I am patiently waiting.

I just wanted to let you know, because depending on your timeframe, you may be stuck waiting as well.
January 5, 2007 5:03:48 PM

Quote:
One thing to be aware of if you are ordering soon, there are no Vista drivers yet for the 8800 GTX.

I built a machine in the middle of Dec, and I installed RTM version of Vista from my MSDN subscription. I was excited to see the aero interface withy my 8800, and the drivers do not exist.

They should be released when Vista is released, at least that is what all of the other disgruntled early adopters of this card and Vista are hoping.

I finally installed XP on my machine, and I am patiently waiting.

I just wanted to let you know, because depending on your timeframe, you may be stuck waiting as well.


yeah i noticed, well im pre-ordering Vista along with my build.... so i assume my build wont even be here until vista is released, im sure nvidia wont be far behind with the drivers (thinking positive)

as long as i have the net drivers etc running & can chat on msn ill be happy until drivers are released :) 

overclockers says its the 12th for Vista release, 7 days togo.... if there right.
!