What video card should I buy to run 4+ LCD monitors

stripwear

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
The monitors I am using are Sony 46XBR2's. I want each monitor to run 1680x1050 at a minimum. There wont be any video involved just text and some graphs. Each monitor will hook up to the card via a CAT6 cable. I am using a converter that runs VGA to Ethernet for long cable runs over 100 feet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I might not help that much since I didnt understand how do you connect the monitors and what is that converter you are using.

But as far as I can tell, if you are running some kind of server or workstation, the Quad-DVI Quadro FX 4500 (I think is that one) will be OK for you since it comes with 4 DVI-Ports. Remember this is only 1 card and running 4 screens at 1650x1050 with only 1 card might cause some lags.

If you are running some normal pc, possibly a pair of 79xx's in SLI will do the job depending on the motherboard that you have right now (if SLI is supported) and if the PSU supports SLI.

Hope that helps and please somebody correct me if I gave any wrong or unneeded information.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I might not help that much since I didnt understand how do you connect the monitors and what is that converter you are using.

But as far as I cant tell, if you are running some kind of server or workstation, the Quad-DVI Quadro FX 4500 (I think is that one) will be OK for you since it comes with 4 DVI-Ports. Remember this is only 1 card and running 4 screens at 1650x1050 with only 1 card might cause some lags.

If you are running some normal pc, possibly a pair of 79xx's in SLI will do the job depending on the motherboard that you have right now (if SLI is supported) and if the PSU supports SLI.

Hope that helps and please somebody correct me if I gave any wrong or unneeded information.

yes i personally dont know of any one card that will run 4 monitors.

skud

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
even if he has a crappy mobo he could still get 2 pci cards or one pci and one agp or whatever couldnt he? just mix and match.

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
I dont think so. PCI and AGP dont work that way and thats one of the main reasons of PCI-E.

Unfortunately, thats the way it is

You can plug as many PCI video cards and/or AGP video cards that you have slots for -- I think Windows XP has support for upto 10 monitors. At work, we have AGP/PCI video card combinations driving 2, 3, and 4 displays. It can be done.

Check this link out for good & cheap video cables:
http://www.cablewholesale.com/index.php

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hmmm never knew that. But do you think he can run 4 monitors at those resolutions with PCI cards? that would cause him some kind of slows in perfomance dont you think?

Something new to learn everyday :D

stripwear

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Here is a link to the PC (4 units) that these monitors will run off:

http://www.gateway.com/products/gconfig/proddetails.asp?seg=gv&system_id=e6610d

As for the cost, that is of minimal concern if the setup works properly. I have run several Matrox cards in the past but am not sure if there is a better solution out there. Sorry for the late reply, dont get on my home PC much these days, need a break after work.

thanks again for the input.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
i would reccomend a quadro card and you will probably need 2 of them.

That would be just about the worst choice ever.
He's doing text and graphs only. its stupid for him to spend a small fortune for pro 3D graphics workstation cards with functionality he'll never use.

Just go with any 2 cheap cards with dual dvi outputs.

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Then he can only go for the Quadro quad-dvi then

Why do you impose this limit? The specifications of his computer indicates it has 2 standard PCI slots. So, why not just purchase a cheap PCI video card to use in combination with the pre-installed video card? There is no need to spend an arm and a leg to do what he needs to do.