Sign in with
Your question

What video card should I buy to run 4+ LCD monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2007 1:30:17 PM

The monitors I am using are Sony 46XBR2's. I want each monitor to run 1680x1050 at a minimum. There wont be any video involved just text and some graphs. Each monitor will hook up to the card via a CAT6 cable. I am using a converter that runs VGA to Ethernet for long cable runs over 100 feet.

Thanks in advance for your help.
January 6, 2007 12:37:24 AM

Well, what video card do you have now that isn't working well enough?
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2007 1:13:50 AM

i would reccomend a quadro card and you will probably need 2 of them.
Related resources
January 6, 2007 1:17:46 AM

I might not help that much since I didnt understand how do you connect the monitors and what is that converter you are using.

But as far as I can tell, if you are running some kind of server or workstation, the Quad-DVI Quadro FX 4500 (I think is that one) will be OK for you since it comes with 4 DVI-Ports. Remember this is only 1 card and running 4 screens at 1650x1050 with only 1 card might cause some lags.

If you are running some normal pc, possibly a pair of 79xx's in SLI will do the job depending on the motherboard that you have right now (if SLI is supported) and if the PSU supports SLI.

Hope that helps and please somebody correct me if I gave any wrong or unneeded information.
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2007 1:22:06 AM

Quote:
I might not help that much since I didnt understand how do you connect the monitors and what is that converter you are using.

But as far as I cant tell, if you are running some kind of server or workstation, the Quad-DVI Quadro FX 4500 (I think is that one) will be OK for you since it comes with 4 DVI-Ports. Remember this is only 1 card and running 4 screens at 1650x1050 with only 1 card might cause some lags.

If you are running some normal pc, possibly a pair of 79xx's in SLI will do the job depending on the motherboard that you have right now (if SLI is supported) and if the PSU supports SLI.

Hope that helps and please somebody correct me if I gave any wrong or unneeded information.

yes i personally dont know of any one card that will run 4 monitors.
January 6, 2007 1:33:47 AM

It might be kinda hard since he wants to run them at very high resolutions.
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2007 1:37:00 AM

he has got to be offline.

maybe when he comes back he can give us more info on his sys.
and his budget.
January 6, 2007 1:39:04 AM

Well yes is kinda late here in FL. I dont know why people post without giving enough information. Well we will just have to wait.
January 6, 2007 2:15:00 AM

i would get two video cards instead of one for that many monitors
January 6, 2007 2:16:39 AM

Thats the best option, unfortunately we dont know what motherboard he has, power supply etc

Important data not given :?
January 6, 2007 2:22:44 AM

even if he has a crappy mobo he could still get 2 pci cards or one pci and one agp or whatever couldnt he? just mix and match.
January 6, 2007 2:27:18 AM

no. :roll:
January 6, 2007 2:48:11 AM

I dont think so. PCI and AGP dont work that way and thats one of the main reasons of PCI-E.

Unfortunately, thats the way it is
January 6, 2007 3:35:45 AM

Quote:
I dont think so. PCI and AGP dont work that way and thats one of the main reasons of PCI-E.

Unfortunately, thats the way it is

You can plug as many PCI video cards and/or AGP video cards that you have slots for -- I think Windows XP has support for upto 10 monitors. At work, we have AGP/PCI video card combinations driving 2, 3, and 4 displays. It can be done.

Check this link out for good & cheap video cables:
http://www.cablewholesale.com/index.php
January 6, 2007 5:34:12 PM

Hmmm never knew that. But do you think he can run 4 monitors at those resolutions with PCI cards? that would cause him some kind of slows in perfomance dont you think?

Something new to learn everyday :D 
January 8, 2007 9:12:07 PM

Here is a link to the PC (4 units) that these monitors will run off:

http://www.gateway.com/products/gconfig/proddetails.asp...

As for the cost, that is of minimal concern if the setup works properly. I have run several Matrox cards in the past but am not sure if there is a better solution out there. Sorry for the late reply, dont get on my home PC much these days, need a break after work.

thanks again for the input.
January 8, 2007 9:30:29 PM

Quote:
i would reccomend a quadro card and you will probably need 2 of them.

That would be just about the worst choice ever.
He's doing text and graphs only. its stupid for him to spend a small fortune for pro 3D graphics workstation cards with functionality he'll never use.

Just go with any 2 cheap cards with dual dvi outputs.
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2007 10:42:33 PM

ok then cool.
January 8, 2007 11:14:58 PM

Well because he mentioned those big resolutions... but well.
January 8, 2007 11:29:10 PM

The Gateway computer he linked to only has one PCI Express x16 slot.
January 8, 2007 11:32:35 PM

Then he can only go for the Quadro quad-dvi then
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2007 11:56:50 PM

Quote:
The Gateway computer he linked to only has one PCI Express x16 slot.

yeah i know.

but in his op he didnt give any info as to what his sys specs were.

i.e. what type and how many expansion slots he has to work with.
January 9, 2007 7:24:08 PM

stripwear

no replies, no help. Im out of here
January 9, 2007 10:41:05 PM

I know the firemv 2400 supports 4 monitors, and same with the quadro nvs 440
January 9, 2007 11:23:19 PM

Quote:
Then he can only go for the Quadro quad-dvi then

Why do you impose this limit? The specifications of his computer indicates it has 2 standard PCI slots. So, why not just purchase a cheap PCI video card to use in combination with the pre-installed video card? There is no need to spend an arm and a leg to do what he needs to do.
January 9, 2007 11:46:12 PM

I realize that, the cards I showed were cards designed for what this guy has in mind. I'm also not sure if at the resolutions this guy whats to do if pci will work well or not, with so many other things on the pci bus these days
January 10, 2007 12:30:57 AM

Stripwear wants to display text and graphs. Both solutions presented in this thread will more than suffice for this need.

Hence... The question comes down to how much money he wants to spend in addition to the computer and VGA-to-Ethernet converter. He can spend $100 for a standard PCI video card (with dual video ports). Or, he can spend $500 for the professional Quadro/Firemv 3D video cards. Only he can answer that. ;) 

If money is not an object, go for the better card.
!