Changing the DHCP exclusion range

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 21, 2005 6:03:04 PM

When we originally set up our DHCP scope we excluded IP addresses .1 to .30.
Now it appears that we need at least 20 more static IP addresses. Is there a
way to change the exclusion list from .1 to .50? If I just blow away the
current range and recreate it from .1 to .50 then what happens to those 20
computers whose IP I will be excluding? Will they not be able to log onto
the domain?

I am currently running Windows 2000 Server with service pack 4. Any help in
this matter is greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:06:57 PM

They will receive a new address in the remaining range.

Carolanne wrote:

> When we originally set up our DHCP scope we excluded IP addresses .1 to .30.
> Now it appears that we need at least 20 more static IP addresses. Is there a
> way to change the exclusion list from .1 to .50? If I just blow away the
> current range and recreate it from .1 to .50 then what happens to those 20
> computers whose IP I will be excluding? Will they not be able to log onto
> the domain?
>
> I am currently running Windows 2000 Server with service pack 4. Any help in
> this matter is greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:06:58 PM

So it's really that easy? All I have to do is delete the existing exclusion
list and recreate it? Do I have to wait until everyone has logged off before
I can do this?

Thanks for your help Bob. I really appreciate it.

Carolanne

"Bob I" wrote:

> They will receive a new address in the remaining range.
>
> Carolanne wrote:
>
> > When we originally set up our DHCP scope we excluded IP addresses .1 to .30.
> > Now it appears that we need at least 20 more static IP addresses. Is there a
> > way to change the exclusion list from .1 to .50? If I just blow away the
> > current range and recreate it from .1 to .50 then what happens to those 20
> > computers whose IP I will be excluding? Will they not be able to log onto
> > the domain?
> >
> > I am currently running Windows 2000 Server with service pack 4. Any help in
> > this matter is greatly appreciated.

July 21, 2005 8:50:03 PM

The list only determines what IP address gets assigned when a lease is
created due to the DHCP request. If a PC is using an address in the
"exclusion" they will continue to use it until the PC is restarted or
the lease expires. Changing the list won't boot anybody off.

Carolanne wrote:
> So it's really that easy? All I have to do is delete the existing exclusion
> list and recreate it? Do I have to wait until everyone has logged off before
> I can do this?
>
> Thanks for your help Bob. I really appreciate it.
>
> Carolanne
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>They will receive a new address in the remaining range.
>>
>>Carolanne wrote:
>>

>>>When we originally set up our DHCP scope we excluded IP addresses .1 to .30.
>>>Now it appears that we need at least 20 more static IP addresses. Is there a
>>>way to change the exclusion list from .1 to .50? If I just blow away the
>>>current range and recreate it from .1 to .50 then what happens to those 20
>>>computers whose IP I will be excluding? Will they not be able to log onto
>>>the domain?
>>>
>>>I am currently running Windows 2000 Server with service pack 4. Any help in
>>>this matter is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:44:03 AM

I apologize if this is a stupid question but I've never done this before and
I don't want to screw it up. What steps are involved in expanding the
exclusion range? I assume that I would want to:

1. Delete the 20 IP leases that I need to reclaim
2. Delete the exclusion range
3. Create a new exclusion range with those 20 additional addresses.

It just seems too simple, that I must be missing something.

Carolanne

"Bob I" wrote:

> The list only determines what IP address gets assigned when a lease is
> created due to the DHCP request. If a PC is using an address in the
> "exclusion" they will continue to use it until the PC is restarted or
> the lease expires. Changing the list won't boot anybody off.
>
> Carolanne wrote:
> > So it's really that easy? All I have to do is delete the existing exclusion
> > list and recreate it? Do I have to wait until everyone has logged off before
> > I can do this?
> >
> > Thanks for your help Bob. I really appreciate it.
> >
> > Carolanne
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>They will receive a new address in the remaining range.

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:40:32 PM

At this link
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/d...