Problems with dual network cards

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Windows 2k server with exchange enterprise 2k as a front end server. Server
has two net cards one with a local network address and one with a public
address. The local card is connected to my local network to acess our
exchange server. The public address is connected to our internet router. I
have to disable the public address card to boot the system or I get and error
that the name already exists otn the network. After boot I can enable the
card and gain access to this server from the internet for OWA users for a few
hours then the connection is unavailable. I must disable an reenable the
public card to reset. Any Ideas?

Jordan

Do you happen to have both network cards plugged into the same
router/hub/switch or do they loop back together? Although it may look like
you should be able to have the ability to have cards with different IPs on
the same switch, it does present a problem.

If you're on seperate physical segments and one IP is on the Internet then
you need to also be sure that your Internet IP is being filtered. NetBIOS
should be OFF on the Internet IP. If this is your Exchange Server the
Internet IP should only have Ports 25 for SMTP, 110 for POP, 80 for OWA (and
443 with OWA configured for SSL).

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows 2k server with exchange enterprise 2k as a front end server.
> Server
> has two net cards one with a local network address and one with a public
> address. The local card is connected to my local network to acess our
> exchange server. The public address is connected to our internet router. I
> have to disable the public address card to boot the system or I get and
> error
> that the name already exists otn the network. After boot I can enable the
> card and gain access to this server from the internet for OWA users for a
> few
> hours then the connection is unavailable. I must disable an reenable the
> public card to reset. Any Ideas?

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows 2k server with exchange enterprise 2k as a front end server.
> Server
> has two net cards one with a local network address and one with a public
> address. The local card is connected to my local network to acess our
> exchange server. The public address is connected to our internet router. I
> have to disable the public address card to boot the system or I get and
> error
> that the name already exists otn the network. After boot I can enable the
> card and gain access to this server from the internet for OWA users for a
> few
> hours then the connection is unavailable. I must disable an reenable the
> public card to reset. Any Ideas?

What's bound to the public card in the network properties? Disable
file/print sharing, for one...and don't put in WINS. You do need to use your
internal DNS server's IP, I believe.

That said, I discourage using Windows for this purpose and suggest you get a
decent firewall to stick between your Exchange box and your router, and have
it do the NAT for you.

TRENDING THREADS