Sign in with
Your question

One hard disk with XP installed, with one partition...split?

Last response: in Storage
January 5, 2007 1:53:20 PM

my main hard disk that contains my OS has a decent amount of free space on it. I would like to partition it to add vista on a seperate partition but i'm not in the mood to reinstall windows or lose any data.

is there a good program out there to do this for me?

thx

oh and no, copying my os to a sep hd, partitioning my original, then copying back to a partition...is NOT an option. I want a program to partition my free space for me.
January 5, 2007 2:48:59 PM

yeah you can do this with XPs built in disk managment, or a free linux distro (using a live CD).
Right click my computer->manage->disk management->right click on your C:\ drive->resize->make it the appropriate size in MB
What you will be left with is unpartitioned space
to fix this, right click on the unpartitioned space, and say create new partition.
Have fun with vista!
January 5, 2007 3:25:31 PM

Quote:
yeah you can do this with XPs built in disk managment, or a free linux distro (using a live CD).
Right click my computer->manage->disk management->right click on your C:\ drive->resize->make it the appropriate size in MB
What you will be left with is unpartitioned space
to fix this, right click on the unpartitioned space, and say create new partition.
Have fun with vista!

I use norton partition magic to do things like that. Its a niffty piece of software that allows you to change partitions without needing to reformat. His method for what I know does not work at all, for windows does not allow you to change partitions on your own. I could not find any "resize" option that he speaks of in disk management.
January 5, 2007 3:55:18 PM

whoops... ive been using vista too long
I jumped on an XP machine.. and your right.
So yeah partition magic is good, but it costs money.
Related resources
!