Sign in with
Your question

n00b question regarding cpu cooling

Last response: in CPUs
January 5, 2007 2:55:10 PM

Hey fellas,

My son is currently running a AMD 3200+ with a stock heatsink and I recently purchased a 4000+ without a heatsink.

Is it ok to use the stock fan on the 3200 for the 4000? If it isn't compatiable could you suggest a mid range product?

I don't overclock and my son uses the pc for homework and games.

Thanks appreciate any help =)
January 5, 2007 2:57:32 PM

Both processors will need a heat sink. That being said, assuming they're for the same socket, that heatsink will work fine on either processor.

That being said, I would say buy an aftermarket for the 4000+. This is a single core, right?
Related resources
January 5, 2007 5:04:49 PM

Quote:
Is it ok to use the stock fan on the 3200 for the 4000?

It will work, if you're replacing the 3200+.

Make sure to clean off the old/used thermal paste, and apply new paste onto the CPU. Then you can install the heatsink.

You owe TC a beer :lol:  :lol: 
January 5, 2007 5:24:56 PM

you can have mine! I have 1 or 2 collecting dust (not really dust).It's for a 3800 I think....
January 5, 2007 5:27:21 PM

Glad to hear the old one will work for the 4000 at least until I can pick up one of the suggested coolers.

Thanks again fellas, appreciate the help.

Ya ever in PA stop in for a Guinness :wink:
January 5, 2007 5:40:09 PM

LOL, nice screenname for a father :lol:  :lol: 
January 5, 2007 8:36:42 PM

Quote:
I just read the first sentence in his post. :lol: 

Isn't that WHY you owe him a beer??? ;) 
January 5, 2007 10:46:06 PM

amd chips run cool u can use almost anything!

check the temp in bios then check it again with the new chip - if its signifcatly different you may not have enough or too much thermal compound.

i am not amd guy but i believe that is same chip with a different multipler = so its the same cooler
January 6, 2007 1:25:10 AM

thank u! site was built in exhange for labor on water cooled computer, its not updated - i mean to make a new one on .com

ya, i would not add a cooler since amd runs cool - thats money spent on core2duo!!!

i agree, a venessa s is $30 and looks really cool!

o ya- check out my how to build a water cooled pc guide:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/build-liquid-co...
January 6, 2007 3:06:20 AM

Good idea - thank you! The reason is plastic cases break easy so i stayed away from them - shipping and all.

screws pull then complete melt down of the case!
January 6, 2007 3:20:07 AM

Quote:
Hey fellas,

My son is currently running a AMD 3200+ with a stock heatsink and I recently purchased a 4000+ without a heatsink.

Is it ok to use the stock fan on the 3200 for the 4000? If it isn't compatiable could you suggest a mid range product?

I don't overclock and my son uses the pc for homework and games.

Thanks appreciate any help =)

They are essentially the same heatsink so you'll be fine, ya Dirty Nasty Leg.....

Sorry, I just noticed that username. So you still in?

But make sure you get some thermal paste and scrape the original paste off.
January 6, 2007 3:31:25 AM

do not, no scraped - 97% alcohol and cotton - like your face!

clean off the thermal compound carefully - do not scratch the surface - should be like a mirror!
January 6, 2007 3:49:32 AM

Quote:
do not, no scraped - 97% alcohol and cotton - like your face!

clean off the thermal compound carefully - do not scratch the surface - should be like a mirror!

I was about to edit again to add, not scrape but remove. Hopefully he won't take a spackler to it.

The best thing to do is remove the heat sink after heavy use so that the paste is more "liquid."
January 6, 2007 3:52:13 AM

That is unless the HSF is just sitting there. In which case grab some of that solvent stuff (somebody remembers the name) and rub the paste off with a gauze type material.
January 6, 2007 4:13:19 PM

Quote:
They are essentially the same heatsink so you'll be fine, ya Dirty Nasty Leg.....

Sorry, I just noticed that username. So you still in?

But make sure you get some thermal paste and scrape the original paste off.

Ya, on the downside though, 6 1/2 to go! You?
!