Best setup for high quality DVD playback on a PC?

plautus

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I am a film producer/screenwriter and I watch at least one DVD movie on my PC every day. What setup -- video card, monitor, sound card, anything else -- will give me the best quality playback? Currently I have a Samsung 19" LCD, SB Audigy2 ZS, a 7600GT, Klipsch 2.1 speakers and 1 GB DDR 400 RAM. The films look fine, but I'm wondering if the quality could be improved upon. Thanx.

cleeve

Illustrious
Your 7600 GT will offer alot of improved DVD quality playback features, but you have to enable them first.

IN the new Nvidia driver panel, you have to go to TV/Video color settings, then make sure you're in the advanced view. THEN you have to go to the 'enhancements' tab.

From there you can turn on noise reduction, INverse Telecine (pulldown detection), and detail enhancement.

You also have to make sure 'hardware acceleration' is enabled in your DVD playing software. It should be in the software options of programs like Cyberlink PowerDVD or Nero Showtime.

With all these options on, a 7600 GT will deliver great DVD quality, about the same as a 7900 GTX or X1950 XTX.